What happens when Master Distribution point goes down.

cghigliotty
New Contributor

Hello all.

Just wanted to get some clarification about this in preparation for a Disaster Recovery test we're slated to perform:

We have one Master Distribution point (located at our main NY office) which syncs to three additional distribution points located in satellite offices (also in NY). Assuming a recent sync was performed, if the Master Distribution point were to go down, would the three satellite distribution points would still be able to image via Casper Imaging? We're staging a situation where we would need to be able to image machines for end users at one of the satellite offices if our main office was out of commission.

Thanks guys!

2 REPLIES 2

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

When your main DP (assuming its a AFP/SMB share) goes down your still able to image from the other ones.

When you image, you are able to select which DP to image from. (Although I prefer storing a local copy of casper's deploy on my machine, and syncing that when I sync the rest).

I can't confirm with the JDS infrastructure if you can set failures (As I haven't set up a JDS yet)..

You can also easily change the master distro on server.

If your Main Casper Server goes down, and you don't have it clustered, your going to have bigger problems..
- RD

cghigliotty
New Contributor

Yeah we don't have clustering enabled currently (I'm not sure as we don't, these were the settings handed down to us by our Global Mac Standards Dept.).

Assuming we can't enable clustering, would you recommend having a back-up Casper server to deploy images at another location? I've read some people having success using a Mac Mini server for mobile imaging and package deployment.