Packaging Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.4

alexmcclements
Contributor

For anyone else who agonised over this one see link below

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO92266

8 REPLIES 8

jrepasky
New Contributor III

I am trying to follow the instructions given but step 5. of the packaging process is ambiguous

"In the menu, click Tools > Create remote deployment package. Accept the default package"

Where is this mysterious "Tools" menu?

jrepasky
New Contributor III

I am trying to follow the instructions given but step 5. of the packaging process is ambiguous

"In the menu, click Tools > Create remote deployment package. Accept the default package"

Where is this mysterious "Tools" menu?

jrepasky
New Contributor III

Sorry for the double post
Sorry for the double post

nessts
Valued Contributor II

usually you get an installation application from your SEP server
you launch that application, look in the menu bar at the top of the screen there should be something named tools...

jrepasky
New Contributor III

Per the article (pasted below) Step #4 has you install the pkg created in the earlier paragraph of steps on a client (any client). Step #5 talks about a 'tools' menu. which is not a part of the installer. When the installer completes there is no tool menu because it is just using the built in 'Installer" OS X app.
Once it is installed you can launch the SEP app and there is a tool menu but there is not option for "Create remote deployment package" all it says is "Quarantine" "View History" and "Virus Info"

Am I supposed to be looking at the web SEP portal for this? If so can you please either provide steps. Or if it comes directly from the server somehow can you provide the path?

Sorry I'm a newbie to Symantec
I called their support yesterday and aside from the first triage call they haven't gotten back to me.

---------------FROM KB------------------
Configure the package for remote deployment

1. After the package creation completes, browse to the location you previously specified, and then copy the .zip file to the Mac on which your remote deployment program in installed. By default, the file name is Symantec Endpoint Protection.zip.
  2. Right-click on the .zip file and click Open With > Archive Utility to decompress the .zip file.
  3. Double-click Symantec Endpoint Protection Installer to launch the application.
  4. Click Continue in the warning message to acknowledge that a system restart is required after install.
  5. In the menu, click Tools > Create remote deployment package. Accept the default package name or type in a new name, select a folder where you want to save the file, and then click Save.
  6. When the package creation completes successfully, click OK. The file name is SEPRemote.pkg.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

On the DMG file that the Symantec Endpoint Protection software comes on is an installer called Symantec Endpoint Protection Installer. Double-click on that to launch the installer. You'll see a message about needing to restart after the installer click the continue to that. Now at the very top on the menu bar you will see Tools to the right of Symantec Endpoint Protection Installer. Click on that and choose create remote deployment package. Give the file a name and tell it where you want the custom installer to be placed. Click Save and it will make you an installer package that you can upload into the JSS with Casper Admin. You can use that to deploy to all your computers meeting the minimum system requirements. I hope that helps.

nixonc85
New Contributor III

Has anyone else seen the pkg installer fail if you are not connected to a network with an internet connection?

cbooker
New Contributor III

Thank you. I had been looking for this myself.