JDS and NetSUS - together in harmony?

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

I'm re-architecting away from an all Mac OS Casper infrastructure.

Can a JDS and NetSUS coexist happily on the same RHEL VM?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

twinfield
New Contributor II

I have an Ubuntu Server 12.04 instance running in VMware that has had both the JDS and NetSUS .run installers setup on it. All three services appear to be humming along just fine. the JDS installer was run first followed by NetSUS. The NetSUS web interface is working well. I've been able to successfully expand the hard drive on this virtual machine twice as well. Started with 100GB, then to 150 and now at 200GB; a big step in future-proofing for us.

View solution in original post

wyip
Contributor

I also have a NetSUS appliance (Ubuntu 12.04) that I installed the JDS on. I can't vouch for RHEL though.

One thing I had to do was explicitly trust the certificate for the JDS in Safari before I could use it in Casper Imaging. I guess this is probably true for all JDS instances, not just ones that happen to live on a NetSUS appliance.

From JAMF Support:

With the JDS, the certificate deployed by it must be trusted in the NBI - as a test, lets Netboot a Mac, go to the JDS URL in Safari, and click "trust" on the certificate when the "Untrusted site" message pops up. If that allows us to complete the imaging, then we'll know that the next time we build an NBI for imaging, we'll need to get that cert trusted if we're looking to use a JDS.

BTW @rtrouton has a good article on how to expand the HDD of your NetSUS: https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/expanding-available-disk-space-on-jamfs-netsus-vm-appliance/

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

twinfield
New Contributor II

I have an Ubuntu Server 12.04 instance running in VMware that has had both the JDS and NetSUS .run installers setup on it. All three services appear to be humming along just fine. the JDS installer was run first followed by NetSUS. The NetSUS web interface is working well. I've been able to successfully expand the hard drive on this virtual machine twice as well. Started with 100GB, then to 150 and now at 200GB; a big step in future-proofing for us.

wyip
Contributor

I also have a NetSUS appliance (Ubuntu 12.04) that I installed the JDS on. I can't vouch for RHEL though.

One thing I had to do was explicitly trust the certificate for the JDS in Safari before I could use it in Casper Imaging. I guess this is probably true for all JDS instances, not just ones that happen to live on a NetSUS appliance.

From JAMF Support:

With the JDS, the certificate deployed by it must be trusted in the NBI - as a test, lets Netboot a Mac, go to the JDS URL in Safari, and click "trust" on the certificate when the "Untrusted site" message pops up. If that allows us to complete the imaging, then we'll know that the next time we build an NBI for imaging, we'll need to get that cert trusted if we're looking to use a JDS.

BTW @rtrouton has a good article on how to expand the HDD of your NetSUS: https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/expanding-available-disk-space-on-jamfs-netsus-vm-appliance/