Default distribution point that isn't the Master?

robo
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I'd like to know if anyone knows a way to make a non-Master distribution point behave the default distribution point for a JSS (we're using 8.7x, although soon to move to 9).

We have set up a Master distribution point with limited access, and a front end distribution point with much wider access. We want our clients by default to use the front end distribution point.

I know that with failover they'll eventually get to the front end, but this isn't a nice way to have things work.

Are we stuck manually setting it for every Network Segment? Can one make one overarching Network Segment (1.0.0.0-255.255.255.255) with the front end distribution point set?

Any ideas? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

robo
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

So to answer my own question, it looks like the overarching Network Segment for all IPv4 addresses does actually work, at least on 8.72. This effectively provides a default distribution point that isn't the master.

However, this can be confusing due to an oddity I noticed while testing: a nested network segment will inherit the distribution point of its parent Network Segment only if it has *never* had a distribution point set for itself. If you do set a distribution point for the nested network segment, it will retain that one even if you later unset that setting. ie. It won't go back to the default, nor to the parent's non-default distribution point. That's a bit unexpected, and in light of this it's probably best to have a distribution point explicitly set for all your Network Segments unless you're sure they've never had one set before.

NowAllTheTime
Contributor III

My clients with 9.21 will switch on the fly to any distro I set, either on a specific network segment or on a parent, in any of the scenarios you just described. So, you likely won't run into these issues after you upgrade.

robo
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Ah, thanks. That's good to know.