NetSUS Server 3.0 is now available

eric_krause
New Contributor
New Contributor

We have put out a new version of the NetSUS Server. The source has been updated on GitHub and it is also available as both an OVA and an installer.

Added features:

• Support for Cent OS 6.4 and later
  • Support for RedHat 6.4 and later
  • Updated for the 10.9 SUS catalogs

https://github.com/jamf/NetSUS/blob/master/README.md

21 REPLIES 21

Araneta
New Contributor III

nice!

Araneta
New Contributor III

nice!

winningham_2
Contributor

Can anybody attest to whether or not the installer has actually worked for them, using CenOS, or not?

Araneta
New Contributor III

This has worked for me but I'm using Ubuntu 12.04. I ran into a minimal issue though that I need to upgrade Apache first on the appliance to make it to work.(upgrading from NetSUS 2.0).

winningham_2
Contributor

So I tried to install, on CentOS 6.5 now twice to no avail. I tried on a new box and I tried, for whatever dumb reason, atop one of our JDSs boxes as well.

bash NetSUS_3.0.run 
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing NetSUS Installer............
Starting the NetSUS Installation
Checking installation requirements...
Checking for a supported OS...
Checking for a 64-bit OS...OK
Passed all requirements checking!

Is this a standalone installation?
Answer yes unless you are creating an image of the appliance to deploy in multiple locations

Standalone?  (y/n): y

The following will be installed
* Appliance Web Interface
* NetBoot Server
* Software Updates Server

Proceed?  (y/n): y
Installing...
Uncompressing WebAdmin Installer.....................................................................................................................................................................................................
Starting Web Application Installation
Restarting apache...
OK
Finished deploying the appliance web application
Uncompressing NetBoot Installer.............................
Starting NetBoot Installation
smbuser already exists
afpuser already exists
OK
Finished deploying NetBoot
Uncompressing SUS Installer....................
Starting SUS Installation
OK
Finished deploying the appliance web application

The NetSUS has been installed.
If you are upgrading NetSUS, you can simply start using it.

This simply hasn't worked for me at all. Sadly, the only log I found only repeats what is said in the installer.

[2014-01-21 09:18:06]: Starting the NetSUS Installation
[2014-01-21 09:18:06]: Checking installation requirements...
[2014-01-21 09:18:06]: Checking for a supported OS...
[2014-01-21 09:18:06]:
[2014-01-21 09:18:06]: Checking for a 64-bit OS...
[2014-01-21 09:18:06]: OK
[2014-01-21 09:18:06]: Passed all requirements checking!
[2014-01-21 09:18:11]: Installing...
[2014-01-21 09:18:11]: Starting Web Application Installation
[2014-01-21 09:18:11]: Restarting apache...
[2014-01-21 09:18:11]: OK
[2014-01-21 09:18:11]: Finished deploying the appliance web application
[2014-01-21 09:18:12]: Starting NetBoot Installation
dhcpd: no process killed
[2014-01-21 09:18:12]: OK
[2014-01-21 09:18:12]: Finished deploying NetBoot
[2014-01-21 09:18:12]: Starting SUS Installation
[2014-01-21 09:18:12]: OK
[2014-01-21 09:18:12]: Finished deploying the appliance web application
[2014-01-21 09:18:12]:
[2014-01-21 09:18:12]: The NetSUS has been installed.
[2014-01-21 09:18:12]: If you are upgrading NetSUS, you can simply start using it.
[root@netsus1 logs]#

winningham_2
Contributor

I wonder why JAMF would need to touch rc.local? That should be reserved for the local admin and perhaps an init script could handle this better. Just my two cents.

Araneta
New Contributor III

For those using Ubuntu 12.04.3.

I did both an upgrade(2.0 to 3.0) and a clean install and have to do a couple of steps before running the installer.

1.sudo apt-get update.
Let it download all updates.
2. sudo apt-get upgrade.
3. sudo ap-get clean (clean the cache).
4. sudo wget http://jamfsoftware-content.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/NetSUS_3.0.run.
5. sudo sh NetSUS_3.0.run.

Hope this helps.

alden
New Contributor

So I did some debugging - the testOSRequirements.sh makes a bad assumption. In the script you check for /usr/bin/lsb_release and if it exists, you assume it's an ubuntu OS. That file exists on our CentOS servers (it's part of the redhat-lsb-core rpm).

Josh_S
Contributor III

Figured I should post this for anyone else running into the same issue. Due to a syntax issue in the same file that @alden mentions, the install script also doesn't properly detect your OS leading to an issue with settings not getting applied properly. For your sanity, it's probably best to explicitly export a variable named "detectedOS' prior to running the installer, as well as temporarily moving the "lsb_release" file if it exists on your system and you're not installing on Ubuntu.

export detectedOS='OSType'
/path/to/NetSUS_3.0.run

OSType needs to match the OS you're installing to, and be one of "Ubuntu", "CentOS", or "RedHat". Case sensitive.

Caitlin_H
New Contributor III

Both @Josh_S and @alden's fixes work. I have now rebuilt two different NetSus servers with NetSus 3.0 using these workarounds and they are functioning as expected.

alden
New Contributor

I've started working on modifying this to work with multiple netboot images (and setting a default netboot image).

The info I've found doesn't explain the AFP part of the dhcp options - "80:31:61:66:70...". I know that the 31 is the length and the 31 characters are the afp URI, but I'm not sure how to deal with this in the multiple image situation.

The website I'm referencing is (I have to use the google cache because the original website seems to be broken):

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:gpUsR3fiGJMJ:brandon.penglase.net/index.php%3Ftitle%3DGetting_*nix_to_Netboot_Macs+&cd=16&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

guilherme_teles
New Contributor

Someone already installed in a RedHat machine? Please share your tips, I have some doubts, like what kind of installation are you using (web server?)?

Josh_S
Contributor III

I have, successfully, installed on a RedHat machine. There are a few bugs with version 3.0 that require workarounds. But it looks like they should be fixed soon, they are now fixed in the GitHub repository. If you are brave enough to pull down the source and build your own installer, you shouldn't have any issues (hopefully).
https://github.com/jamf/NetSUS

It's not as scary as it sounds. Just download the entire project. 'cd' into the NetSUS directory, and run the 'CreateNetSUSInstaller.sh'. Use the .run file that is created and go. If you don't want to go this route, you can wait until the next release.

CGundersen
Contributor III

I've had success with CentOS 6.5 and the aforementioned workarounds (export detectedOS=CentOS), but I'm still having trouble with RHEL 6.4. I'll keep at it, but I've tried what I believe is the latest GitHub source and error remains the same with RHEL. That said, after rebuilding the installer, the workaround is no longer necessary to install successfully on CentOS 6.5.

The RHEL 6.4 error remains as follows (applianceinstaller.log reads the same as below) ...

Uncompressing NetSUS Installer.....................
Starting the NetSUS Installation
Checking installation requirements...
Checking for a supported OS...testOSRequirements.sh: line 34: logevent: command not found
RedHat
Checking for a 64-bit OS...OK
Aborting installation due to unsatisfied requirements.
Installation failed. See /var/appliance/logs/applianceinstaller.log for more details.

Josh_S
Contributor III

The repository was just updated this morning so, if you haven't tried it since then, I would suggest you try again. You shouldn't need any workarounds.

CGundersen
Contributor III

Yeah, I gave it a whirl after your post. It did seem to correct issue with CentOS 6.5 (no longer needing export workaround to install successfully). I'm possibly screwing up/still missing something with RHEL 6.4.

CGundersen
Contributor III

So the RHEL 6.4 servers were not fully patched. Server team brought the servers to latest patch level and the rebuilt installer is working great. Sorry for confusion and thanks for the info!

gregory_sawkey
New Contributor

Using a clean install of Cent OS 6.5 Basic Server in Hyper-V and I'm getting the following error when trying to turn on NetSUS in /var/log/messages..

No subnet declaration for eth0 (x.x.x.x) Not configured to liste on any interfaces
** ignoring request on eth0.

Any idea's?

Josh_S
Contributor III

Make sure you're inputting the local subnet the server is on. For example, if the IP address for your server is 10.0.1.56 and your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. You would enter:

Subnet: 10.0.1.0
Netmask: 255.255.255.0

You can scope additional subnets, provided you have IP helpers setup, but it at minimum has to listen on the local subnet.

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

^^This; the IP/subnet settings have to be dead on.

clifhirtle
Contributor II

I'm going to throw out the dummy questions here:

• Is the only difference in NetSUS v2.0 -> 3.0 the ability to install on RHEL and CentOS?
  • Is there any way to determine what version of the NetSUS you're running from the webadmin? I got some "unmet dependencies" errors and while it seems not to have stopped the upgrade, I'm not as versed on the Ubuntu side as others on copy. Here's the Terminal output:
Verifying archive integrity... All good. Uncompressing NetSUS Installer............ Starting the NetSUS Installation Checking installation requirements... Checking for a supported OS...Ubuntu Checking for a 64-bit OS...OK Passed all requirements checking! Is this a standalone installation? Answer yes unless you are creating an image of the appliance to deploy in multiple locations Standalone? (y/n): y The following will be installed Appliance Web Interface NetBoot Server * Software Updates Server Proceed? (y/n): y Installing... NetSUSInstaller.sh: line 111: sestatus: command not found Verifying archive integrity... All good. Uncompressing WebAdmin Installer..................................................................................................................................................................................................... Starting Web Application Installation E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution). E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution). E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution). E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution). E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution). ERROR: Site default-ssl not properly enabled: /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/default-ssl is a real file, not touching it Restarting apache... OK Finished deploying the appliance web application Verifying archive integrity... All good. Uncompressing NetBoot Installer............................. Starting NetBoot Installation E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution). E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution). E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution). E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution). smbuser already exists afpuser already exists OK Finished deploying NetBoot Verifying archive integrity... All good. Uncompressing SUS Installer.................... Starting SUS Installation E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution). E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution). OK Finished deploying the appliance web application The NetSUS has been installed. If you are upgrading NetSUS, you can simply start using it. Restarting Services... If you are installing NetSUS for the first time, please follow the documentation for setup instructions.