Epson Printer Drivers wiping printer list until restart

Bray
New Contributor

We're having a strange deployment issue where Epson Drivers installed from Self Service are looking to install properly in the policy logs, but temporarily wiping the printers in System Preferences until the computer is restarted. We're on Casper 9.22 and this is affecting any version of OS X. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

9 REPLIES 9

stevehillnz
New Contributor III

We are deploying Konica Minolta drivers and seeing the same behavior.

pblake
Contributor III

I've seen this with a few installs. I believe you need to restart CUPS.

Try adding a command at the end of the policy to restart CUPS.

daz_wallace
Contributor III

Ditto here, with a few different lots of printer drivers.

pblake's solution seems to fix it.

Darren

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

Having a similar problem, known issue I believe. Another thread mentioned to add a script to each SS printer install that runs after to restart cups, but it doesn't seem to work for me. A restart does bring them back and allow them to print though.

Bray
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies, I'm getting the same as @jwojda though, still having to restart even after forcing a restart of cups.

EightQuarterBit
New Contributor III

Same behavior here, even when adding a simple HP printer configured to use the system's default print drivers on 10.9.1, using Casper Suite 9.22. Killing CUPS does not correct the issue.

localhorst
Contributor

9.23 fixes an issue related to printer deployment. We upgraded today and the CUPS problems are gone. ;)

Bray
New Contributor

Think this is one of the fixes in 9.23 - I'm having trouble upgrading to this (Java issues as I had from 8 to 9.22), but it is on the bug fixes

"[D-006067] Fixed an issue that prevented a printer from immediately displaying in System Preferences if the printer is mapped using a policy that is made available in Self Service. Also fixed an issue that caused any existing printers to temporarily disappear from System Preferences after a printer is mapped to a computer using a policy that is made available in Self Service."

stevehillnz
New Contributor III

9.23 fixed it for us, but corrupted the CUPS commands we had added to each policy to deal with the bug. Now that we have removed those commands, all printer policies are running correctly.