OS X Configuration Profile

compro
New Contributor III

Forgive me for asking a newbie question, but I cannot seem to figure out how to create an OS X configuration profile. I've been able to manage some settings, but for example, I want to create a wireless preauth configuration profile. My understanding is that this needs to be done in OS X Server, but I thought Casper Suite would be able to do it as well.

At any rate, I can't for the life of me figure out how to create a config profile in Casper or OS X Server. If I have to go the route of OS X Server, do I have to enable Open Directory in order to get the ability to create these? The main reason behind wanting to go with Casper is to not have OD enabled and not have to use the Golden Triangle.

Any suggestions and advice is greatly welcome. Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

gburgess
New Contributor III

I had this issue a few weeks ago when I went to try and push out some new SSID's to machines. I ended up reading the Suites User Guide... (I know, ha!)

JSS ver. 9+
If you go to Settings -> Computer Management -> Security:

You will need to have "Enable certificate-based authentication" checked for the + box to show on the config profile page.

I would enable the other check boxes on that page as you see fit as well.

Let me know if that helps!

View solution in original post

compro
New Contributor III

@gburgess - Certificate-based was already enabled. I had to enable push notifications for OS X computers, and now it's working as it should. Thank you!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Kprice
New Contributor III

If you have the Casper Suite, no reason to be using OSX Server to manage Config Profile, but if interested for reference, let me know and I will walk you through.

Not sure what ver JSS you're running but here is a walk through from the Casper Admin Guide 9.2.Manually Creating an OS X Configuration Profile
1. Log in to the JSS with a web browser.
2. Click Computers at the top of the page.
3. Click Configuration Profiles.
4. Click New .
5. Use the General payload to configure basic settings, including the level at which to apply the profile.
Only payloads and settings that apply to the selected level are displayed for the profile.
6. Use the rest of the payloads to configure the settings you want to apply. In your case, Network.
7. Click the Scope tab and configure the scope of the profile.
8. Click Save.
Computer-level profiles are installed the next time computers in the scope check in with the JSS. User-level profiles are installed the next time users in the scope log in to their computers.

Check your Admin Guides for more help.
http://www.jamfsoftware.com/resources/casper-suite-administrators-guide/

I future posts, try to give as much info as possible (Versions...) so people can better assist.
Hope this helps.

KP

henrysalas
New Contributor

Hi Compro,

KP is correct. In addition, you have to make sure your Macs are "MDM" capable, meaning 10.7+ and that your JSS and network are configured accordingly. APN ports must be reachable from the JSS and the clients... so there is some homework to do but it's a great way to manage your systems. Our environment is AD integrated and I stayed away from the whole OD triangle/Schema Extension approach. There are some discussions already on this topic.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=6578

compro
New Contributor III

Thanks for the information. I figured I should be able to click "New" under Configuration Profiles, but I do not have a "New" button.

I am running an evaluation of Casper Suite. I don't think that should make a difference, but I'll just throw that out there.

Here's what I've got: http://imgur.com/4xLPfim

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@compro - Make sure the account your logged into Casper Suite with has all available privileges checked by going to Management Settings > System Settings > Accounts and Groups, then clicking on your account and clicking the Edit button. Look under the Privileges tab and enable all privileges under each section. Sometimes if something is missing its simply because your account doesn't have access to it.

compro
New Contributor III

@mm2270 - My account is the only account and is an administrator. I just confirmed that I have full access to everything.

mm2270

OK. I believe being able to create Configuration Profiles depends on having a proper APNs configuration set up since that's how they get deployed. Have you set up and uploaded an APNs certificate? Check under Global Management > Push Certificates

compro
New Contributor III

I have done this and I have a cert uploaded, but still no option to create an OS X Config Profile.

I can create iOS Config Profiles and was able to even before uploading the cert, but OS X Config Profiles still cannot be created.

mm2270

Not sure then. I would reach out to your JAMF Systems Engineer for some help, since you're using a trial version. The ability to create them should be there regardless of the trial status though.

pat_best
Contributor III

Just throwing this out there, have you tried a different browser or cleared the browser history? There are supposed to be two buttons there, one for a new profile and one to upload a prebuilt profile. Do you see both buttons on the iOS side?

compro
New Contributor III

I have tried clearing the cache and have tried Safari and Chrome.

On the iOS side, I see New and Upload, but I see neither on the OS X side.

compro
New Contributor III

I was able to brute force my way into creating a Config Profile by going to https://<jssurl>/OSXConfigurationProfiles.html?id=-1&o=c

pat_best
Contributor III

It was a thought! At this point I agree with mm2270.... get in touch with your rep and see if they have any info for you.

gburgess
New Contributor III

I had this issue a few weeks ago when I went to try and push out some new SSID's to machines. I ended up reading the Suites User Guide... (I know, ha!)

JSS ver. 9+
If you go to Settings -> Computer Management -> Security:

You will need to have "Enable certificate-based authentication" checked for the + box to show on the config profile page.

I would enable the other check boxes on that page as you see fit as well.

Let me know if that helps!

compro
New Contributor III

@gburgess - Certificate-based was already enabled. I had to enable push notifications for OS X computers, and now it's working as it should. Thank you!

gburgess
New Contributor III

Ha yes, there it is. I just wanted to make you look a bit for the answer! ;) Glad i could help!

MrP
Contributor III

@gburgess

I had the same issue and with your information my solution was the same as compro's. This was all working until I issued a new APN certificate in 9.31. Seems the new APN certificate caused JSS to flip push notifications off. >:(

WUSLS
New Contributor

Thank you!!!!! nuff said! Saved me from banging my head against the wall.

clifhirtle
Contributor II

Thanks for posting this @gburgess & @compro. My cloud instance had push notifications off and absence of OS X configuration profile creation option puzzled me until I saw this thread as well!

Emmert
Valued Contributor

What a goofy default. Sorry for bumping an old thread but this was a useful post.