Configuration Profile to set up Jabber chat server in messages.app

exno
Contributor

Hi JAMFNation!

I have spent the better part of the past hour wracking my brain trying to figure out a way to automate setting up supported users with an internal jabber server.

I know that if i do a user level configuration profile that it will auto populate $USERNAME with the login user value but the issue i have is that the chat server username is USER@chatserver.uncc.edu... And so for my attempts to use $USERNAME along with the server portion have resulted in it just using $username@chatserver.uncc.edu

Is there a means with which i can use the JSS value identifier and append the chat server section or should i start looking into other methods of automating this out?

- I am @exno or @exnozero on almost everything that exists.
4 REPLIES 4

alanmcseveney
New Contributor

You should look at the preference manifest for iChat. Pretty much everything in Messages is the same as iChat.

From memory, one would use %@@domain.com for autofilling a jabberid.

Alan.

alanmcseveney
New Contributor

You should look at the preference manifest for iChat. Pretty much everything in Messages is the same as iChat.

From memory, one would use %@@domain.com for autofilling a jabberid.

Alan.

exno
Contributor

@alanmcseveney][/url I'll take a look at that manifest to see if it will help any with initial set up. When i saw messages listed under the user level config profiles, i had hoped i could use it but it seems like it is geared more to a generic messages account.

If the manifest can't accomplish the automated set up, i may just keep that as part of the first day training users receive on their iMacs.

Thank you for the information!

- I am @exno or @exnozero on almost everything that exists.

justinworkman
Contributor

One thing I've done for Mail that should work for Messages is write a script that calls plistbuddy and generates the plist for the user with all their account settings. Then I put the script in self-service so they can set up their own account without needing to know all the gory details.