Casper apps in folders with Configurator restore

krusej23
New Contributor

I am wondering if anyone has pushed iPad apps with Casper and tried to put them in folders on the iPads? I have a master iPad setup with all of the apps that were pushed with Casper in folders. I backed that up in supervision mode in Configurator and restored that backup to the rest of the iPads. Then I pushed out the apps to the iPads using Casper and they didn't go into folders. None of the folders even showed up. I tried it the other way around where I pushed the apps and then restored the backup and it creates the folders but doesn't install all of the apps or stalls out on them. Has anyone been successful with this? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Hi Jon, (I know I replied on the ASC forum but re-posting here for JAMF users to see)

Currently the only way to maintain folders with apps is with Configurator and with iTunes (using Configurator backups and iTunes backups respectively).

Rather than using folders, we teach the kids to use the iPad's Search feature to find apps. This also teaches the kids that Search can find so much more than just apps. So while folders are nice to keep apps organized, teaching the kids about Search can be more helpful in the long run. Also, folders can get altered by the kids once you give them the iPads. Using Search they can find the app even if they inadvertently moved the app out of the folder. Teaching Search has been a good thing for us.

Hope this helps!!
~Joe

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Hi Jon, (I know I replied on the ASC forum but re-posting here for JAMF users to see)

Currently the only way to maintain folders with apps is with Configurator and with iTunes (using Configurator backups and iTunes backups respectively).

Rather than using folders, we teach the kids to use the iPad's Search feature to find apps. This also teaches the kids that Search can find so much more than just apps. So while folders are nice to keep apps organized, teaching the kids about Search can be more helpful in the long run. Also, folders can get altered by the kids once you give them the iPads. Using Search they can find the app even if they inadvertently moved the app out of the folder. Teaching Search has been a good thing for us.

Hope this helps!!
~Joe