Removing System Preference Restrictions 10.9.x and Casper 9.2

TJ0214
New Contributor

So in the past we would delete the managed preferences folder to gain access to the System preferences items we had greyed out if we were offsite and troubleshooting a Mac machine. So with Configuration Profiles now, deleting this folder will not do us any good. Is there a file or folder I can delete that would open up what we have greyed out to help us troubleshoot when we don't have access to the management server? I tried com.apple.systempreferences file but did not help.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

TJ0214
New Contributor

Will have to really sit down and pay attention. That does not look like an easy solution. I was hoping for a delete and Casper push the restricts the item again when it checks in. Is there a short answer? haha

TJ0214
New Contributor

Sorry double post

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Haha @TJ0214, the short answer is in the "Managed Preferences" section of my linked blog.

FWIW, this is an Apple change with 10.9. So it's handy up know.

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Hi TJ,

We've fought this a bit too - fun isn't it? ;)

1) First off we found that a clean install with no Managed Preferences and only Configuration Profiles used is the way to clear the decks. With some Managed Preferences and some Configuration Profiles it just didn't work the old way by removing the folder in /Library/Managed Preferences with your user name
2) You can now do the System Preferences restriction in a configuration Profile under the Restrictions item
3) Machines are set up to display username/password fields at logon screen
4) Then if you are an admin on the box, the trick is to hold down Option and click the little circle (with and arrow in it) on the right end of the password field of the logon window. You will prompetd with a message that "This computer will be managed. Would you like to continue with managed settings enabled?" Click Disable Settings button

Regards,

David