When I use Search Inventory to search Computers, and leave the search field empty, JSS performs a wildcard search, returning all Computers.
But when using the other search options (Applications, Local User Accounts, etc.), and leave the search field empty, the search doesn't return any results. Instead, I have to use the wildcard character “*” for the search to return all results.
This inconsistent behavior is confusing. I needed a list of all the Applications on all our Macs, so I did a search leaving the search field empty, and got no results. Only after I contacted support did I learn that all the options require the wildcard character except Computers.
I don't suppose demand for this change will be high, but the effort needed to implement this change should be pretty small.