Company: Massachusetts College of Art and Design (MassArt)
Location: Boston, MA
Reporting to the Director of Client Services (DCS), the Mac Desktop Coordinator serves as a member of the Client Services team, which provides technical support and assistance to the MassArt community for the Technology Department. The Mac Desktop Coordinator is primarily responsible for the deployment and management of Mac endpoint systems using JAMF Pro (formerly JAMF Casper). The Mac Desktop Coordinator also assists with troubleshooting, tasks, projects, initiatives and other activities at the discretion of the DCS or Chief Information Officer (CIO), as required.
The Mac Desktop Coordinator assists the DCS with the architecture and development of the infrastructure, policies, tools and processes required to deploy and manage desktops and devices, and to ensure compliance with internal College policy, government regulations, and best practices. The Mac Desktop Coordinator assumes responsibility for the implementation, documentation and management of that infrastructure. The Mac Desktop Coordinator also works closely with colleagues in the Technology department, and in academic and administrative areas across the College, to facilitate productivity and a better user experience for all members of the College community.
The Mac Desktop Coordinator also serves as a backup to the Windows Desktop Coordinator, and other members of the or Technology Department, to cover leaves or absences, as required. While this position is primarily focused on Mac deployment and management, the incumbent will be required to cross-train with other staff, or undergo additional training, to be able to support other operating systems, software, systems, devices, and services at the discretion of the DCS and the CIO.
The incumbent possesses the technical expertise and experience to deploy and maintain large numbers of devices simultaneously. The incumbent will create an exceptional user experience which is highly automated, requires little or no manual intervention, and can be managed remotely. The incumbent is expected to stay apprised of emerging trends, and develop competencies in other areas of technical support and facilitation, as the requirements of the College and the technology landscape in higher education evolve over time.
The ideal candidate possesses exceptional customer service and communications skills, and is comfortable working with colleagues, clients and partners across the College to ensure that all members of the College community are productive and satisfied with the endpoint computing environment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide technology support for the MassArt community, ensuring professional and consistent customer service at all times.
• Collaborate with faculty and staff in administrative and academic departments and units across the College to identify and document administrative and academic computing needs and requirements.
• Research, develop, implement and support enterprise-wide tools, systems, services, processes, procedures, and other solutions as required to deploy and support iOS Mac OS X systems, software, configurations, and peripherals.
• Collaborate with Technology department staff to integrate devices, management and deployment tools with existing infrastructure, enterprise applications, and services.
• Coordinate the deployment and support of iOS and Mac OS desktop, laptop and mobile devices, balancing academic and administrative requirements, compliance with internal and external regulations, policies, quality and best practices, and best-in-class user experience.
• Deploy updates, patches, configuration profiles, upgrades, or changes to hardware, operating systems, or application software in a timely manner in consultation with campus constituents. This position serves as the final resource for escalated software deployment requests.
Implement information security configurations, tools and systems, to ensure devices are in compliance with College policy, government regulations, industry standards and best practices.
• Serve as the application administrator for device management and deployment tools, including JAMF Pro (formerly Casper), Apple Device Enrollment Program, Apple Volume Purchase Program, and Adobe Creative Cloud Enterprise Dashboard, etc. • Ensure configurations (disk images, deployment manifests, shell scripts, packages, installers, etc.) are maintained and up-to-date, and can be scoped or deployed remotely, quickly and efficiently. • Train other staff on device management and deployment tools, practices, policies and procedures.
• Assist in the development and execution of project plans under the direction of supervisor(s).
• Serve as a CJIS (Criminal Justice Information Services) Technical Representative to provide MassArt Public Safety with pertinent and timely information.
• Ensure that all necessary and relevant information is properly documented in department information systems, including service desk software and wiki.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS and EXPERIENCE
• Demonstrated experience deploying, configuring, updating and troubleshooting Apple Mac OS X and iOS hardware and software in a mixed computing environment, in a corporate, educational, or non-profit setting.
• Demonstrated experience creating and distributing system images, software, and updates via JAMF Pro (formerly JAMF Casper) fro Mac OS X and iOS computers and devices.
• Demonstrated experience planning and implementing large-scale deployments of hardware, software and configuration.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Combination of academic and practical experience, and interpersonal skills, required to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the position in a professional manner.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize information effectively, work individually as well as a member of a team, adapt to a changing work environment, and demonstrate a willingness to learn new skills.
• Ability to successfully complete assigned tasks without direct supervision.
• Sufficient mobility to perform duties in small spaces involving crouching, stooping, kneeling and physical ability to perform tasks requiring physical strength to lift 30-45 lbs.
• Bachelor’s or associate degree related to information technology.
• Prior experience with Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) activities, preferably as a service desk technician or manager in a non-profit, higher education or cultural institution, providing or managing tier 1, tier 2 or tier 3 technical support.
• Prior experience integrating Apple endpoints into a Windows Active Directory computing environment. • Prior experience with Apple Device Enrollment Program (DEP), DeployStudio, MCX, Apple iOS and MacOS configuration profiles, Apple Configurator, System Image Utility, disk images, NetBoot, NetInstall, NetRestore, Mac OS X Server, Bombich Tools (Carbon Copy Cloner), Apple Open Directory, LDAP directory services, Active Directory, Puppet, Munki, Unix/Linux systems/CLI/shell scripts, Windows Group Policy, and scripting languages such as CMD, VBScript, batch, Windows Powershell, Bash, Ruby, Perl, Python, AppleScript, etc. • Prior experience with Windows endpoint management and deployment platforms (e.g., System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), Windows Deployment Services, KACE, etc.)
• Prior experience with enterprise encryption products, anti-virus and anti-malware products.
Relevant professional certifications:
Apple: Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP), Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC), Apple Certified System Administrator (ACSA), Apple Certified Specialist (ACS), Apple Certified Media Administrator (ACMA).
JAMF Certifications: CCT, CCA, CCE, Jamf 100, Jamf 200, Jamf 300, Jamf 400. ITSM Framework such as ITIL Foundations Certification or COBIT Foundation.
• Prior experience with service desk software and wikis, preferably Atlassian Jira Service Desk, Atlassian Confluence.
• Prior experience with business productivity applications (e.g. Google Docs, Microsoft Office) and digital media, art and design applications (e.g., Adobe Creative Cloud software, Apple Pro applications, Autodesk, etc.)