Company: Mathematical Sciences Research Institute
Location: Berkeley, CA
The Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI) is one of the world’s preeminent centers for research in the mathematical sciences and has been advancing knowledge through mathematical research since 1982. It is located near Grizzly Peak Boulevard, with spectacular views of San Francisco Bay and the UC Berkeley Campus.
MSRI brings foremost mathematical scientists from around the world to work together in an environment that promotes creativity and effective collaboration. Located in a place of great natural beauty overlooking the San Francisco Bay, the Institute hosts some 1,700 mathematicians each year, for stays of up to one academic year. The Institute works for inclusiveness, and has many programs designed to enhance the participation of women and under-represented minorities.
The Technology Support Specialist provides support of staff and research member’s technology at Mathematical Sciences Research Institute. The Technology Support Specialist works in collaboration with Systems Administrators and outside contractors under the direction of the IT Manager to support and implement end user computer systems. The candidate is expected to have a strong background in administrative functions related to desktop / mobile operating systems and applications for multiple computing platforms. Additionally, basic/intermediate server experience, and basic/intermediate network troubleshooting while demonstrating exceptional customer service to staff, research members, and community users of technology.
Responsibility #1- 80% time - Serve as primary support contact for research and staff technology.
Tasks involved in fulfilling above duty/responsibility:
• Maintain and support mobile/desktop operating systems
• Install, maintain, and support mathematical research software and implement desktop / mobile standards.
• Support printing systems
• Provide training and support for research technology as necessary
• Monitor network and collaborate with System Administrators, IT Manager, and contractors regarding general network health.
• Support end point security requirements.
• Maintain excellent oral and written communication and coordination with media & technology teams.
• Maintain excellent written documentation utilizing JIRA and Confluence. • Play a critical role throughout the problem management lifecycle. Includes identification, testing, and documentation, in coordination with System Administrators, IT Manager, and contractors.
Responsibility #2 - 10% time - Inventory and Asset Management coordination.
• Maintain desktop, mobile, and infrastructure inventory and management to department standards.
Responsibility #3 - 10% time - General responsibilities.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the IT manager.
• Some weekend and night work will be required with ample notice, planning, and consideration of your personal schedule.
Knowledge of and experience in the use and support of multiple desktop technologies and operating systems (Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows)
• Critical thinking--using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Judgment and decision-making--considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
• Active learning--understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
• Complex problem solving--identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Deductive reasoning--ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
• Inductive reasoning--ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
• Thinking creatively--ability to develop, design, or create new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products.
• Ability to perform cross-platform troubleshooting and technical support of Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows end-points.
• Understanding of scripting and automation best practices for supported operating systems (Bash, Python, PowerShell).
• Ability to learn and support a wide range of computer applications.
• Ability to learn and support various end-point administration suites (JAMF Pro / Casper, Puppet, and Microsoft WDS).
• Ability to communicate technical items to others with varying technical abilities.
• Ability to collaborate with staff to accomplish district and department goals and objectives.
• Ability to collaborate with research members with a wide range of technical abilities to achieve research goals and objectives. • Some lifting up to fifty pounds, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity required.
Additional Desired abilities: experience with LaTeX/TeX document formatting, previous experience supporting Maple, Mathematica, Magma, Sage, Matlab, or Anaconda Suite.
• Minimum of two years post-secondary education or equivalent experience required.
• 3-5 years of experience in the use and support of multiple technologies in an educational / research setting along with an interest and ability to learn more of the same.
• Completed Associates Degree or vocational trade school with advanced training.
$33.66 -$43.27 per hour. This is a full-time non-exempt position with a competitive benefits package. Salary commensurate with experience. This position is partially funded through a grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF)
APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION
Please submit your intention to apply by responding to this ad (via email) using the subject line MSRI Technology Support Specialist addressed to personnel at msri dot ORG. Include as attachments (in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat file format), the following 4 items of information. Only complete applications will be considered.
• Cover letter
• Three business references
• Date available