Information Technology Services is seeking applications for a Client Platform Engineer (Professional Technologist 2). This position will design, manage and administer the IT systems that the University uses to deploy software, applications, updates, and operating systems to client devices on the WVU network. This position is responsible engineering the architecture of these systems through research, development, testing, and analysis of system requirements, best practices, customer requirements, and compatibility with WVU systems and policies. This position will build and provide services to other WVU IT units including application deployments, automation scripts, computer operating system images, client patching solutions, and configuration frameworks. This position will manage security and access to other groups that use these systems as well as providing expert guidance and instruction. This will include documentation, assistance, and training to groups as required.This position will have the primary responsibility of designing and managing IT hardware and software requirements for Mac classrooms and labs supported by ITS.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidates will:
- Provide primary support for WVU’s Jamf Pro infrastructure. Administration of WVU’s Jamf Pro instance through the Jamf Admin Portal. Managing multiple Jamf sites and security delegations. Maintain a stable and responsive Jamf environment in support of mission critical business applications and requirements for MacOS and iOS devices. Document system administration and maintenance procedures.
- Design, develop, and deploy engineered solutions for clients on the WVU network. This includes designing and testing code-based deployment scripts, application packages, operating system deployments, patching strategies, and configuration baselines. Use available scripting and programming tools, along with 3rd party software to create automated deployments for unattended installations. Design maintenance and support strategies for ITS-supported Mac computers that minimize downtime and secure computing environments.
- Provide technical leadership and expert guidance for Jamf Pro administrators at WVU, including assigning permissions and building and maintaining shared objects and smart groups within Jamf. Research and keep up to date on new functionality, upgrades, and relevant advances in Jamf and other endpoint support technologies as they emerge.
- Test, evaluate, and recommend computing hardware and software technology designed to improve productivity or efficiencies across the network.
- Design, test, and participate in the deployment and maintenance of the standard client operating
system and software environment and all associated programs.
- Provide training, troubleshooting, and third tier support to deskside support groups and other IT departments in the University. This includes performing root cause analysis of Jamf framework problems from the servers to the client. Assist in recovery of service interruptions and implementation of solutions to prevent problem recurrence. Administration of third-party applications, license servers, and network printer deployment.
- Design and administer Active Directory OU structures that contains approximately 2500 ITS-supported user objects and their associated computer and group objects. This includes designing, testing, and implementing Group Policy, administering permissions to network resources and assisting other IT units with related services when required.
- Bachelor’s degree in an IT centric field and/or equivalent combination of education or experience.
- Two (2) years of experience in the following:
- Administering server operating systems in an enterprise environment
- Administering and managing endpoint management and configuration software in an enterprise environment. Experience with SCCM or Jamf Pro preferred.
- Experience managing macOS, iOS, or Windows client operating systems
- Experience managing Microsoft Active Directory
- Knowledge of current server operating systems, including Microsoft Windows Server and Linux environments.
- Knowledge of Apple client devices, macOS, and iOS
- Knowledge of client management and configuration systems, including but not limited to Jamf Pro and/or Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM).
- Demonstrated ability to manage and troubleshoot complex problems in a multi-server environment.
- Expert knowledge of TCP/IP and common network protocols including DHCP, DNS, SNMP, SMTP, and HTTP(S)
- Expert knowledge of the MacOS, iOS, and Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated ability to create technical documentation.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://talentandculture.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
How to Apply
Apply online at the link on the bottom: https://wvu.taleo.net/careersection/staff/jobdetail.ftl?job=12387