Manager, Software Engineering
The Software Engineering Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of a group of software engineers and creating an environment conducive to creating high performing teams. The Manager works closely with key stakeholders to meet strategic business objectives. The Software Engineering Manager will ensure the people they serve are aware of and understand the what, the why, and the how of current priorities. The Manager is an expert at their craft and will guide their team towards also becoming experts.
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Travel: Less than 10%
Education: Bachelor's degree preferred
Manager: Director, Software Engineering
- Coach to ensure individuals and the organization are behaving according to the Jamf values of selflessness and relentless self-improvement.
- Maintains current knowledge in present areas of responsibility (i.e., self-education, attends ongoing educational programs).
- Utilizes expertise on software development techniques, processes, tools, languages, and practices to guide and mentor the people they serve.
- Partners heavily with Scrum Masters to guide and help teams and individuals succeed in building enterprise software.
- Prioritizes, monitors, and manages results through planning, attention to detail, and decision making.
- Helps teams and individuals understand the what and why of department level activities.
- Advocates for agile practices across the company.Identifies and proactively manages and mitigates project obstacles and risks.
- Reviews and revises project work plans as needed to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Reviews and analyzes existing workflows and practices for effectiveness and efficiency.
- Acts as a bridge to balance the technical needs of the product with the business needs of the organization by keeping our customers first.
- Ensures the overall code quality of the Jamf code base.Guides Software Engineers to make appropriate technical solutions for features, coding techniques, and tools.
- Ensures consistent and effective application of Lean principles and Agile development practices.Performs key people management responsibilities including hiring, on boarding, and developing along with conducting performance appraisals and coaching for performance and career growth.
- Ensures the teams they interact with understand Jamf values, mission, goals and engineering priorities and can make the connection between the work they are doing and the greater organization.Actively collaborates with the engineering leadership team as well as the broader company to solve problems and improve the function of the engineering organization.
- Creates an environment where all job responsibilities are in alignment with the core values, mission and purpose of the organization.
- Fosters a workplace with the highest moral, ethical and legal standards to deliver an environment that promotes respect, innovation and creativity.
- Models a positive, inclusive workplace one in which the talents and strengths of our increasingly diverse workforce are welcomed, further developed and manifested in our work.
- Provide clear vision, strategies, support and expectations to ensure employees are able to learn, grow and expand their skills, perspectives and experiences to help accomplish Jamf objectives.
- 4 year / Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field; a combination of relevant experience and education may be considered
- 5+ Years professional experience in Enterprise Software development roles demonstrating progressive knowledge and growth in responsibilities (Required)
- 2+ years working in a robust agile environment (Required)
- 2+ Years of development experience in front-end technologies such as Angular, JSP, CSS, HTML. (Required)
- 2+ Years of development experience in other languages, including but not limited to: Java, Objective C, Swift, C++, Ruby, Python (Required)
- 2 – 4 Years in management or supervisory role (Preferred)
- General Experience with web application development (Preferred)
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Proven analytical skills
- Ability to communicate complex technical terms in an easy to understand, non-technical manner
- Ability to interact effectively with co-workers in a results driven culture
- Self-starter, energetic multi-tasker, highly motivated and team player
- Ability to engage with and establish trust and rapport with all levels of customers and employees
- Atlassian Tools (Jira, confluence, bamboo, etc.)
- Agile practitioner experienced in Scrum or Kanban