Supporting technology in the field and at headquarters
Inspiring people to care about the planet
The National Geographic Society has been inspiring people to care about the planet since 1888. It is one of the largest non-profit scientific and educational institutions in the world. Its interests include geography, archaeology and natural science, and the promotion of environmental and historical conservation. In addition to its flagship magazine, National Geographic, the organization publishes a number of other magazines, books, school products, maps, web and film products worldwide in a range of languages. National Geographic has funded more than 11,000 research, conservation and exploration projects around the globe. It also offers grants to improve geography education and operates the National Geographic Museum in Washington, D.C.
NOT YOUR AVERAGE OFFICE
For several years, National Geographic’s employees have relied on Apple devices, requiring IT to support some very demanding conditions for journalists and photographers in the field, while accommodating the needs of the staff at their headquarters. Today, the organization is seeing considerable turnover to Apple devices, with approximately 90 percent of
employees using iOS, and 50 percent choosing Macs over PCs. With National Geographic’s growing focus on multimedia development for its publications and educational materials, both journalists and staff are executing creative projects “that just run better on Apple.”
A FRIEND OF IT
With approximately 1,000 Macs and 550 iOS devices currently in use, as well as plans to install and implement Apple TVs across the organization, National Geographic’s small IT team needed a robust, comprehensive Apple device management solution. National Geographic had relied on other multiplatform tools, but found that, while appropriate for PCs, such solutions did not fit the bill for meeting its Apple management requirements.
The team needed a solution that could grow and thrive with National Geographic’s increasing adoption of Apple, while being reliable and easy to manage.
A SOLUTION THAT WORKS
National Geographic was drawn to Jamf and its wellknown Jamf Pro for the rich functionality, reliability, and Jamf’s “whole product experience,” all of which are designed to help organizations succeed with the Apple platform. The IT team leverages Jamf Pro to configure, deploy and update devices, install and manage software, and to image devices.
Journalists and employees can take advantage of the Jamf Pro Self Service feature, which enables them to install software updates and printers easily and securely on each device, as opposed to needing to go into the IT shop to have the tech team do it.
As an on-the-go global team, National Geographic enjoys more flexibility and security from their Apple devices than ever before — whether working from the office or from the field.
With Jamf Pro, our journalists and employees spend less time worrying about technology and more time focusing on our mission of inspiring people to care about the planet.
WHY JAMF PRO WAS SELECTED
- It lets National Geographic journalists and employees use the Apple devices they want and gives them the tools they need to be highly productive
- It helps the organization stay ahead of the curve by providing complete, timely support for all new Apple iOS and Mac releases, which users can install on their own
- It enables employees to easily patch software and obtain the tools they need, when and where they need them
- It saves IT time by giving them a simple way to implement administrative layers through customizable configurations, profiles and settings, in order to ‘fool proof’ complicated tasks
- It provides an easy means to ensure devices are encrypted and sensitive information is secure, particularly for journalists who are often traveling
- It includes remote wipe capabilities for an extra layer of security in case devices are lost or stolen
- It is backed by the strength of the Jamf Nation community and the Jamf support team who provide quick and easy answers to specific questions during and after the implementation process
- It offers the most comprehensive, flexible and easyto-use Apple device management solution to help National Geographic deliver on its mission