JSS 9 Search vs JSS 8 Search

nethers
Contributor

When searching the inventory of the JSS 8 (and prior), the search feature used to allow me to search, for example, 'lab' and everything with 'lab' in the device name would appear. Now I'm finding it difficult to quickly search out an iPad, say I need to provide a serial number of said device, without running a report. In 9, it seems that searching 'lab' will not provide a list of devices with 'lab' in its name unless that is the entire name of the device. We frequently use the search to find repaired device serials numbers, etc. by searching device name. We have configured our iPads so that they all contain student's graduation year and student's name in the device name field which made searching exceptionally useful.

Is this an intended function or is there a feature somewhere from 9 that I can change the search box back to 'like' if that is the case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Its all spelled out in the documentation, although probably not as clearly as it could be. You need to use a wildcard in searching now in version 9 unless you are entering a complete search term.
In your "lab" example, use something like lab as a search term now. The asterisks can be placed before or after an expression or one or the other, but the results may change for each.
An asterisk before means match any characters that come before the string "lab", but it must end with the string "lab"
An asterisk after means match any characters that come after the string "lab" but it must start with the string "lab"
Asterisks before and after mean look for "lab" anywhere in the string. IOW it could have characters both before or after the term you entered.

That make sense?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mm2270

Its all spelled out in the documentation, although probably not as clearly as it could be. You need to use a wildcard in searching now in version 9 unless you are entering a complete search term.
In your "lab" example, use something like lab as a search term now. The asterisks can be placed before or after an expression or one or the other, but the results may change for each.
An asterisk before means match any characters that come before the string "lab", but it must end with the string "lab"
An asterisk after means match any characters that come after the string "lab" but it must start with the string "lab"
Asterisks before and after mean look for "lab" anywhere in the string. IOW it could have characters both before or after the term you entered.

That make sense?

nethers
Contributor

Thanks. I had not read the changes from 8.

mm2270

Sure. I just edited an error in my post above, but I'm guessing you got the gist. Putting asterisks before and after will approximate the old beaver from version 8 you were used to.

nkalister
Valued Contributor

8 was a good old beaver, god bless 'im.

mm2270

@nkalister. LOL! I hadn't even noticed that. You can thank spell check and my too fast typing for that gem! :) I was going to edit it, but that's just too funny to remove! Lol.