Configuration Profile Install via Policy

pblake
Contributor III

Is this a stupid question? Is there a way to install configuration profiles via a policy. I want to map some drives via configuration policy, but I want them to happen at a certain time and date. Is there a way to deploy them via a policy? If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. If not, would anyone else see a value in it, should it be a feature request.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

The best thing to do would be to pkg up the profiles and then have a postinall script run that installs them on the machine. I've done this with quite a few configuration profiles. The postinstall script would just be something like:

/usr/bin/profiles -I -F /private/tmp/profile.mobileconfig

You could then add the pkg to your jss/jds and run this as a regular policy. Hope this helps.

Allen

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

The best thing to do would be to pkg up the profiles and then have a postinall script run that installs them on the machine. I've done this with quite a few configuration profiles. The postinstall script would just be something like:

/usr/bin/profiles -I -F /private/tmp/profile.mobileconfig

You could then add the pkg to your jss/jds and run this as a regular policy. Hope this helps.

Allen

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

This is exactly how I do it (packages with postflight scripts to install). I strongly recommend putting a little time into learning Iceberg or something similar if you haven't already, since packaging everything you do gives you a ton of flexibility and control.

pblake
Contributor III

Thanks for the advice guys. Alex,
Can you tell me why you feel iceberg is better than composer?

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

I'd recommend just using pkgbuild for something like this. You could even look at luggage which is what I use for most of my pkg builds.

Allen