Casper Imaging, imaging wrong computer.

Eisiminger
New Contributor III

We've run into an issue every now and then where when using Casper Imaging with a thunderbolt, it will image the host computer instead of the target computer. This will happen on our image masters (13" 2013 MBA), as well as my personal computer (15" 2012 MBP) completely imaging it. This forces us to remove the machine from the JSS, reimage, restore from a back up, and set everything back up before we can continue, and is a huge dent in our deployment productivity. Has anyone encountered this issue, and/or has a fix for it?

Running Casper Suite 8.7 on OSX 10.8.5

4 REPLIES 4

tuinte
Contributor III

I know this is obvious, but any chance it's human error, selecting the wrong target drive? Easier than you think if your internal drive has the same name as the one you're imaging?

Eisiminger
New Contributor III

That's what I originally suspected, but there's no option to select the wrong drive when using Target Mode Imaging. And it happens spontaneously, sometimes half way through a batch of machines. Since this is something that has been affecting my whole team, I thought maybe it was something up with the image on the master computers. Then it affected my personal machine so I ruled that out.

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Eisiminger
New Contributor III

Thanks.