Random clients not checking in

sinergi
New Contributor III

Hello,

We have some clients not checking into our JSS v9.3 on and off the network, we have a DMZ setup and in place which does in fact work although some machines eventually stop checking in. it's completely random as to how this happens but we have narrowed it down by running 'launchctl list | grep jamf' which should generally display the launchdaemons in operation.

However, the ones that fail to check-in have this output;
111 - com.jamfsoftware.jamf.daemon
--

We can manually run jamf policy or jamf policy -trigger every15 which will update the JSS but does not in fact re-start the launchdaemon.

We tried rebooting the machine and re-launching the plist 'launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemon/...' with no luck.

Anyone else running into this problem and know how to rectify it?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

Did you upgrade from a previous version of the JSS or did you start with this version? We ran into a problem upgrading to 9.3 from 8.73 where there was a crontab file that was preventing computers from checking in. The affected computers had crontab files with entries referencing /usr/sbin/jamf. Take a look at /etc/crontab on an affected computer to see if there are any entries in there for the jamf binary. We were told by support to delete the crontab file then restart the computer. If that didn't fix it then we were to remove the jamf binary (sudo jamf removeFramework) and then reinstall using a QuickAdd package. This resolved the problem for us.

sinergi
New Contributor III

We had it upgraded from 9.2 to 9.3 within the same week during out startup and we never really had any clients enrolled so I don't think we qualify for that problem. I had a lok in /etc/crontab but no file exists.

I fear we may have to removeFramework but how do we do this for machines that have been taken home? This seems like a big flaw if we have to manually re-start the Daemon.

sinergi
New Contributor III

I did a sudo jamf removeFramework which removed the client side files and then reinstalled the QuickAdd.pkg with no luck. It still appears that the daemon process ' com.jamfsoftware.task.Every 15 Minutes ' is not popping up.

Any ideas?

GaToRAiD
Contributor II

Here is a great tool we use for auto healing of casper enrolled computers.

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/caspercheck-an-auto-repair-process-for-casper-agents/#mo...

sinergi
New Contributor III

Thanks @GaToRAiD I will certainly check this out today!