Changing Computer name's in JSS

EliasG
Contributor

When changing name's in General Tab for computer it ends up going back to the old name after saving it. What's the best way to change the computer name and it actually stay's the new name ??

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

hodgesji
Contributor

You could also change and save it in the JSS and then with Casper Remote, select your computers and under the Advanced tab check "Reset Computer Names".

You just have to make sure to push "reset computer names" before the computers check in again.

View solution in original post

cpdecker
Contributor III

Posting to +1 hodgesji's comment. This is how I do it. You could also scope the reset computer name policy to the computer and wait for check-in to occur if you aren't interested in manually running it using Casper Remote.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

nessts
Valued Contributor II

change it on the host, probably using scutil and then run recon.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

scutil --set HostName $hostname scutil --set LocalHostName $hostname scutil --set ComputerName $hostname

hodgesji
Contributor

You could also change and save it in the JSS and then with Casper Remote, select your computers and under the Advanced tab check "Reset Computer Names".

You just have to make sure to push "reset computer names" before the computers check in again.

cpdecker
Contributor III

Posting to +1 hodgesji's comment. This is how I do it. You could also scope the reset computer name policy to the computer and wait for check-in to occur if you aren't interested in manually running it using Casper Remote.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

I have a policy setup that I use to do this. I clone my template and modify the scope and name of computer as necessary. It's triggered on the recurring check-in to run once per computer and I scope it to the specific computer that needs the name updated. Under Files and Processes I have it execute scutil --set ComputerName 'Name of Computer'. When the policy completes successfully I delete the cloned policy.