Expected Behavior of Network Segment Defaults?

spowell01
Contributor

Hey all, I'm curious if the defaults that can be set within a network segment should be working as i would expect them to...

We have 7 remote sites, and each site has their own file share distribution point as well as apple software update server.

I was hoping to be able to simply set the default SUS and distribution point within each network segment, and then have machines automatically use the local SUS and DP once they update their inventory @ that location. That doesn't seem to be happening, at least not with the SUS setting.

I believe in the past I had a script update the SUS catalogue URL that was in a policy triggered by a network change. Is that still the method i'm going to need to go through to manage each sites specific SUS? If this is the case, then what should be the expected behavior of setting those two default settings for a network segment?

Thanks Everyone!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

in version 8 you could set all your SUS per network segment, you could then run a policy to set that SUS to the client. It would automatically apply the correct SUS based on network segment.

In version 9, it doesnt just set the SUS it also does a full download and install any updates action.

for more info and a script to help you out check out this link
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=9394

View solution in original post

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester
3 REPLIES 3

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

in version 8 you could set all your SUS per network segment, you could then run a policy to set that SUS to the client. It would automatically apply the correct SUS based on network segment.

In version 9, it doesnt just set the SUS it also does a full download and install any updates action.

for more info and a script to help you out check out this link
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=9394

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

spowell01
Contributor

Thanks for both of the responses!

I've up voted your feature request calum, and will probably be using your script as well.

Bentoms, we did originally upgrade from v8, but that was a quite a bit ago. From my initial testing, the distribution point being set within the network segments seems to be working as expected, but with just the single test client i have. I will definitely check out DB with your commands though. I appreciate your link!