Automating Extensis UTC font sync

wmateo
Contributor

In my quest to speed up the time my clients take downloading fonts from my font repository server on initial conenction, I have been asking around if there is a solution to "cache" the fonts during or post imaging.

The process of connecting to the font server takes the account user ID and creates folder ID under /Library/Extensis/ folder, I was wondering is there a more efficient method of doing this and apply it to a template, etc for example.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

ShaunRMiller83
Contributor III

What version of UTC are you on? The current version is 4.2.2 and the Extensis "Turbo Sync" feature works fairly well.

i don't know how many fonts you have in your system but our 23k fonts sync for my "admin" machine in about 10 min.

Prior to the new version being released we were playing with doing a full sync of fonts into the UTC cache, capturing the font cache into a DMG using composer, and laying it down at imaging. The user access would have ideally remove any unauthorized fonts.

We never put that into production in favor of using the new versions so there could be "gotchas"

wmateo
Contributor

@ShaunM9483

Hey, thanks for responding. I am on 4.02 version and That is basically what I was looking to do. however because we leverage LDAP, the user ID gets created in the font cache as opposed to my admin's 501 folder which essentially I can inset in my build. The chalenge is the user ID for each user. how were you going to get around that?

ShaunRMiller83
Contributor III

@wmateo

We honestly never got that far in practice but in concept the way we were going get around the challenge was to lay down the DMG of the font cache, on first login of the LDAP user run a shell script to change the admin to the current logged in user and fixed the permissions and update plists.

This was only conceptual so it may have not worked at all but thats what we were going to try.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Doesn't the UTS4 client purge/recache if the server or login account changes?

--
https://donmontalvo.com

wmateo
Contributor

@donmontalvothat is true..... I guess I am always looking for ways to optimize imaging workflow. we are a heavy UTS shop.