Yosemite Current Airport Network returns "The networksetup binary is not present on this machine."

jperkins01
New Contributor

I am starting to see this message when i look at my smart group of Yosemite computers. Does anyone have any information to resolve or has anyone experienced this message lately??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yeah, we needed to completely rewrite that EA. The problem is that with the one from the template, it first gets the OS version number. When run on Yosemite, it only pulls "1" from the "10". Under say, Mavericks, it pulls a "9".
When it evaluates that it uses a less than comparison and says, if the OS version is lower than 5, look for the network setup binary in a different location (the one that pre 10.5 used) so of course on Yosemite it doesn't exist and fails.

Here is what our current EA looks like after changing it. We don't manage anything lower than 10.6 and I doubt most people out there do. I haven't checked to see if JSS 9.x includes a new version of that EA script in the templates, but if not, JAMF should update it accordingly.

#!/bin/sh

Wireless=$(networksetup -getairportnetwork $(networksetup -listallhardwareports | awk '/AirPort|Wi-Fi/{getline; print $NF}') | awk -F'Network: ' '{print $NF}')

if [[ "$Wireless" =~ "not associated" ]] || [[ "$Wireless" =~ "currently off" ]]; then
    echo "<result>No current wireless network</result>"
else
    echo "<result>$Wireless</result>"
fi

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yeah, we needed to completely rewrite that EA. The problem is that with the one from the template, it first gets the OS version number. When run on Yosemite, it only pulls "1" from the "10". Under say, Mavericks, it pulls a "9".
When it evaluates that it uses a less than comparison and says, if the OS version is lower than 5, look for the network setup binary in a different location (the one that pre 10.5 used) so of course on Yosemite it doesn't exist and fails.

Here is what our current EA looks like after changing it. We don't manage anything lower than 10.6 and I doubt most people out there do. I haven't checked to see if JSS 9.x includes a new version of that EA script in the templates, but if not, JAMF should update it accordingly.

#!/bin/sh

Wireless=$(networksetup -getairportnetwork $(networksetup -listallhardwareports | awk '/AirPort|Wi-Fi/{getline; print $NF}') | awk -F'Network: ' '{print $NF}')

if [[ "$Wireless" =~ "not associated" ]] || [[ "$Wireless" =~ "currently off" ]]; then
else
    echo "<result>$Wireless</result>"
fi

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

@jperkins01 I had the same problem this is the one I use at the moment.

#!/bin/sh

# Determine the OS version since the networksetup command differs on OS
OS=`/usr/bin/sw_vers -productVersion | /usr/bin/colrm 5`

# Attempt to read the current airport network for the current OS
if [[ "$OS" < "10.5" ]]; then
    if [ -f /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/networksetup ]; then
        result=`/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/networksetup -getairportnetwork | sed 's/Current AirPort Network: //g'`
    else
        result="The networksetup binary is not present on this machine."
    fi
elif [ "$OS" == "10.5" ]; then
    result=`/usr/sbin/networksetup -getairportnetwork | sed 's/Current AirPort Network: //g'`
elif [ "$OS" == "10.6" ]; then
    result=`/usr/sbin/networksetup -getairportnetwork AirPort | sed 's/Current AirPort Network: //g'`
else
    device=`/usr/sbin/networksetup -listallhardwareports | grep -A 1 Wi-Fi | awk '/Device/{ print $2 }'` 
    result=`/usr/sbin/networksetup -getairportnetwork $device | sed 's/Current Wi-Fi Network: //g'` 
fi

# Ensure that AirPort was found
hasAirPort=`echo "$result" | grep "Error"`

# Report the result
if [ "$hasAirPort" == "" ]; then
    echo "<result>$result</result>"
else
    echo "<result>No AirPort Device Found.</result>"
fi

jperkins01
New Contributor

How is this being implemented? Please forgive my vagueness but i am curious how to get our machines properly checking in again.

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

@jperkins01 I've actually switched to @mm2270 EA as listed above. I just add this to Management Settings > Extension Attributes98eb36061abb4d4b9ad5c52f46ccf605

sean
Valued Contributor

There was a thread about incorrect EAs in Yosemite:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=11666

Lots of people were writing scripts that would return 1 instead of 10. If you have a requirement to get this info, you'd probably be better off changing the cut to read:

cut -d "." -f 1,2

You could change to this:

cut -d "." -f 2

but then you could run into a similar problem if they come out with 11.1, etc

As for older OS versions. I believe I'm right in thinking any machines that are intel can run the following (so 10.4.4+ possibly?)

#!/bin/bash

wifi_network=`/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -I | awk '/ SSID/' | cut -d ":" -f 2`

if [[ "$wifi_network" == "" ]]
then
else
        echo "$wifi_network"
fi

exit 0

@jhbush1973 You might like to check out 'case' instead of 'if'