JAMFhelper script help

pat_best
Contributor III

Hi all! I am working on something pretty simple, but I have gotten myself stuck and promise to give myself 5 lashes with a wet noodle for my oversight....

What I am trying to do is display a message to the user to clear the web cache or cancel the operation, if the user chooses to continue my script should run then display the completed message. If the user selects cancel the script should exit. I feel like I am missing something pretty basic. Thoughts?

#!/bin/sh

# the purpose of this script is to delete all browser caches.
#
#
# created by Pat B 11/3/14

CLEARCACHE='/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -title "Internet Browser Web Cache" -heading "Please exit all web pages before continuing" -alignHeading center -description "You web browser cache will be cleared when you click the button below.  This may take several minutes and you will be notified when the process completes. Thank you for your patience!" -icon /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/ToolbarInfo.icns -button1 "Erase Cache" -button2 "Cancel" -defaultButton 1 -cancelButton 2'
USER=`who | grep console | awk '{print $1}'`

# If the user clicks Erase Cache

if [ "$CLEARCACHE" == "0" ]; then
        echo "Clearing Cache"
        sleep 2
        rm -R /Users/$USER/Library/Caches/Google 
        rm -R /Users/$USER/Library/Caches/Firefox 
        rm -R /Users/$USER/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari
        /Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -title "Internet Browser Web Cache" -heading "Process Complete" -alignHeading center -description "Your web browser caches have been cleared for Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome." -icon /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/ToolbarSitesFolderIcon.icns -button1 " Exit " -defaultButton 1
            exit 1

# if the user clicks cancel
elif [ "$CLEARCACHE" == "2" ]; then
         echo "User canceled cache clear";   
     exit 1
fi
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Might be a little different but I would do it this way:

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -title "Internet Browser Web Cache" -heading "Please exit all web pages before continuing" -alignHeading center -description "You web browser cache will be cleared when you click the button below.  This may take several minutes and you will be notified when the process completes. Thank you for your patience!" -icon /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/ToolbarInfo.icns -button1 "Erase Cache" -button2 "Cancel" -defaultButton 1 -cancelButton 2

if [ "$?" == "0" ]; then
        echo "Clearing Cache"
        sleep 2
        /Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -title "Internet Browser Web Cache" -heading "Process Complete" -alignHeading center -description "Your web browser caches have been cleared for Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome." -icon /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/ToolbarSitesFolderIcon.icns -button1 " Exit " -defaultButton 1
            exit 1

elif [ "$?" == "2" ]; then
     exit 1
fi

View solution in original post

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

@pat.best I made a few changes to how things were quoted and it worked for me. Thanks for posting yours as well @davidacland

#!/bin/sh

#
    #

CLEARCACHE=$(/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -title "Internet Browser Web Cache" -heading "Please exit all web pages before continuing" -alignHeading center -description "You web browser cache will be cleared when you click the button below.  This may take several minutes and you will be notified when the process completes. Thank you for your patience" -icon /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/ToolbarInfo.icns -button1 "Erase Cache" -button2 "Cancel" -defaultButton "1" -cancelButton "2")
    USER=$(who | grep console | awk '{print $1}')

echo "Clearing Cache"
            sleep 2
            rm -R "/Users/$USER/Library/Caches/Google"
            rm -R "/Users/$USER/Library/Caches/Firefox" 
            rm -R "/Users/$USER/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari"
            /Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -title "Internet Browser Web Cache" -heading "Process Complete" -alignHeading center -description "Your web browser caches have been cleared for Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome." -icon /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/ToolbarSitesFolderIcon.icns -button1 " Exit " -defaultButton "1"
                exit 1

exit 1
    fi

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Might be a little different but I would do it this way:

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -title "Internet Browser Web Cache" -heading "Please exit all web pages before continuing" -alignHeading center -description "You web browser cache will be cleared when you click the button below.  This may take several minutes and you will be notified when the process completes. Thank you for your patience!" -icon /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/ToolbarInfo.icns -button1 "Erase Cache" -button2 "Cancel" -defaultButton 1 -cancelButton 2

if [ "$?" == "0" ]; then
        echo "Clearing Cache"
        sleep 2
            exit 1

elif [ "$?" == "2" ]; then
     exit 1
fi

dbrodjieski
New Contributor III

When you are defining CLEARCACHE, you have it wrapped in single quotes, instead of back ticks or $().

pat_best
Contributor III

@davidacland, you nailed it, thanks! Can you link me to a page that describes the usage of "$?" thanks a ton for your help.

Pat

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

@pat.best I made a few changes to how things were quoted and it worked for me. Thanks for posting yours as well @davidacland

#!/bin/sh

#
    #

CLEARCACHE=$(/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -title "Internet Browser Web Cache" -heading "Please exit all web pages before continuing" -alignHeading center -description "You web browser cache will be cleared when you click the button below.  This may take several minutes and you will be notified when the process completes. Thank you for your patience" -icon /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/ToolbarInfo.icns -button1 "Erase Cache" -button2 "Cancel" -defaultButton "1" -cancelButton "2")
    USER=$(who | grep console | awk '{print $1}')

echo "Clearing Cache"
            sleep 2
            rm -R "/Users/$USER/Library/Caches/Google"
            rm -R "/Users/$USER/Library/Caches/Firefox" 
            rm -R "/Users/$USER/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari"
            /Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -title "Internet Browser Web Cache" -heading "Process Complete" -alignHeading center -description "Your web browser caches have been cleared for Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome." -icon /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/ToolbarSitesFolderIcon.icns -button1 " Exit " -defaultButton "1"
                exit 1

exit 1
    fi

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

No worries! $? is basically the exit code of the last command. I normally use it in scripts to check that the last command exited as 0 (0 = good) before proceeding.

This page has some extra info: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/exit-status.html

pat_best
Contributor III

thanks to the both of you!