In-Place Upgrade to Yosemite 10.10.1 with CreateOSXInstallPkg Problem

elsmith
Contributor II

I have created a package with CreateOSXInstallPkg (nothing but the OS in the package) and put it into Self Service for testing. If File Vault is enabled, we're getting this error message:

Copying InstallOSX_10.10.1_14B25.pkg...
Installing InstallOSX_10.10.1_14B25.pkg...
Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is OS X
installer: Installing at base path /
installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

If File Vault is NOT enabled, everything works just fine.

Has anyone else seen this or have any suggestions as to what may be causing it? From everything I read on the site for that software, it should prompt for the FileVault password on reboot, but the policy is failing before it even tries to finish up and reboot itself.

Just in case anyone needs to know, we're running Casper 9.62.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Caitlin_H
New Contributor III

Are you waiting for the machines to complete encrypting before you try and run it? We ran into an issue where if the machines were decrypting or encrypting the custom package created with CreateOSXInstallPkg would fail.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Caitlin_H
New Contributor III

Are you waiting for the machines to complete encrypting before you try and run it? We ran into an issue where if the machines were decrypting or encrypting the custom package created with CreateOSXInstallPkg would fail.

elsmith
Contributor II

One of the machines was definitely done encrypting - I'm not sure about the others that I was testing with. I will try again with some that I'm sure about! Thank you! (didn't even THINK of that!)

Caitlin_H
New Contributor III

When we were having issue I dug into the system.log to see what actual error it was throwing. Might help, might just give you a generic error.

gregneagle
Valued Contributor

Or even better, look at /var/log/install.log for errors.

elsmith
Contributor II

So I looked through /var/log/install.log initially but didn't see this line the first time - "Cannot install to CoreStorage volume / in the middle of conversion. Current state is: Encrypting."

I am going to try again tomorrow on a test machine with 10.9.5 that is encrypted but not encrypting. I think the one that I mentioned that was already done encrypting was having some other issues.

Thanks for all your help! I will post again tomorrow when I confirm.

elsmith
Contributor II

That was it. Thank you again! I feel so dumb that I missed that!

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

The Apple OS X installer and a createOSXInstallPkg-built OS X installer will behave in different ways. I did a write-up on the FileVault 2-related differences for Mavericks:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/11/30/upgrading-a-filevault-2-encrypted-mac-to-10-9-difference...