Smart/Static Group Organization.

FritzsCorner
Contributor III

With the current lack of categories for smart/static groups, I just wanted to see how others were organizing their groups in the JSS? Our list of smart/static groups has been rapidly increasing and we are finding that we have a lot of duplicate groups created by multiple admins. I would really love to clean this up and thought I would see what everyone else is doing to combat this.

If you haven't already please vote for this feature submitted almost 2 years ago by @leadtrombone https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=1144

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

elliotjordan
Contributor III

My rule of thumb is to make sure that related things are alphabetically close to each other. So, for example, instead of "Encrypted with FileVault" and "Not encrypted with FileVault" you would create groups called "FileVault - Encrypted" and "FileVault - Not encrypted."

View solution in original post

jennifer
Contributor

My suggestion would be the same, use the alphabet.

For me, each group starts with a 'Category':

Updates - Flash
Updates - iTunes
Updates - Office
or Model - iMac 2009
Model - iMac late 2011
Model - MacMini late 2010

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

elliotjordan
Contributor III

My rule of thumb is to make sure that related things are alphabetically close to each other. So, for example, instead of "Encrypted with FileVault" and "Not encrypted with FileVault" you would create groups called "FileVault - Encrypted" and "FileVault - Not encrypted."

jennifer
Contributor

My suggestion would be the same, use the alphabet.

For me, each group starts with a 'Category':

Updates - Flash
Updates - iTunes
Updates - Office
or Model - iMac 2009
Model - iMac late 2011
Model - MacMini late 2010