McAfee Anti Virus - Error Code: 1

mreaso
New Contributor III

Hi guys... we are fairly new in Casper Suite. Need help in McAfee Anti Virus installation. I can install the said application manually and everything work fine However... if I package it via COMPOSER using either .pkg / .dmg we're getting this Error Code: 1

Not sure what is the issue here. It is just a stand alone installer from McAfee. Is there any special thing I need to do while packaging it? Please advice.

Many thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

muribe
New Contributor II

I'm using the install.sh -i so my script will be a bit different. Since you are using the .pkg installer you may try the following:
1. Start Composer, take snapshot.
2. Drop your installer into a folder that is not ignored by Composer. Maybe create a folder /McAfeeTemp and put the .pkg there.
3. Take final snapshot. It should have your install .pkg listed as the only item. Change permissions accordingly.
4. Expand the package source. Right-click Scripts and add postinstall script.
5. To launch the .pkg your script will need something like this: installer -pkg /McAfeeTemp/McAfee.pkg -target /
5b. And to clean up perhaps:
rm -r /McAfeeTemp
6. Save it all as a pkg - upload to Admin, deploy to a test system.

View solution in original post

mreaso
New Contributor III

Hi @muribe... tried it earlier but for some reason the script won't start. Not sure why. However, I've made some workaround and it went pretty well. This is my workaround...
1. Created a folder from root /McAfeeTemp
2. Then I've change the permission = 777
3. Open Composer then I drag the said folder.
4. Package it as .pkg
5. I created a script to install and remove the said folder after install
6. Drag it to Admin then include it in the imaging process - Triggered After Reboot

Finally it's working pretty well. Thanks for all your assistance.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

There are a few specific steps with McAfee. Have you tried following the steps in this KB article: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=182?

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

I've found that the desktop McAfee antivirus software .pkg deploys fine as-is. Drop it in Casper Admin and deploy.

If you're using ePO and need to install their shitty agent script, well that's a big pile that needs special attention.

Here's a thread talking about that one and some solutions to deploy.
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=12858

Kaltsas
Contributor III

Yes the EPM/Antivirus installers can be dropped in casper admin as is. The ePO agent I have a package that puts the install.sh on the system invokes it and then cleans up after itself when it's done. The even more crazy thing is that install.sh script mounts a .dmg with a package in it! At least once the agent is on a system you can deploy the updates through ePO.

mreaso
New Contributor III

Thank Y'all for the speedy response. Will try it out tomorrow by just dragging the pkg to Casper Admin. Will keep y'all posted.

Many thanks!

mreaso
New Contributor III

@dpertschi Tried it now but still got the same error code:1
What version you guys tried? I just drag the pgk to Casper Admin and imaged it. Is there any other settings I need to do?
Please advise. Thanks!

Kaltsas
Contributor III

the package installs fine on it's own sans casper? Does the package deploy ok to a system say via casper remote vs. casper imaging? Is this the standalone version or the ePO version? Not sure there's a difference but there's separate downloads in the support site.

mreaso
New Contributor III

Hi @Kaltsas.... the package works fine if installed manually. However, it failed via Casper Admin / Remote. This package is a StandAlone Installer but We've tried with both ePO version and still fail :(
I really don't know what the heck is it. Do you think it's something to do with FTU? Or I'm doing something wrong while packaging it. I'm sure I can't get wrong with the drag and drop to admin coz' that's pretty straight forward.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

muribe
New Contributor II

If a manual install works fine, I have found the following to reproduce a manual install via Casper:
1. Take a snapshot via Composer
2. Drop your installer into a temp folder (maybe /Temp or whatever)
3. Take anther snapshot
4. Add a postinstall script calling the /Temp/<installer> (and perhaps a line to remove the installer)
5. Save as .pkg and upload to Admin

This has been my method for picky installers and serves me pretty well.

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

@mreaso The FUT package option only applies to .dmg files that presumably were created with Composer's snapshot method.

So let's confirm: are you dropping the .dmg or the .pkg file into Casper.
You should be opening the .dmg and dragging the .pkg into Casper.

mreaso
New Contributor III

Thanks @muribe... will try it out tomorrow. Do you have the sample script that I can work on? Also, can I take another snapshot after creating a folder? Because after the 1st snapshot it prompts to create the package already. Thanks again!

mreaso
New Contributor III

@dpertschi that is exactly what i'm doing...
>> open mcafee dmg >> dragging the .pkg to casper admin but still echoer code:1

muribe
New Contributor II

I'm using the install.sh -i so my script will be a bit different. Since you are using the .pkg installer you may try the following:
1. Start Composer, take snapshot.
2. Drop your installer into a folder that is not ignored by Composer. Maybe create a folder /McAfeeTemp and put the .pkg there.
3. Take final snapshot. It should have your install .pkg listed as the only item. Change permissions accordingly.
4. Expand the package source. Right-click Scripts and add postinstall script.
5. To launch the .pkg your script will need something like this: installer -pkg /McAfeeTemp/McAfee.pkg -target /
5b. And to clean up perhaps:
rm -r /McAfeeTemp
6. Save it all as a pkg - upload to Admin, deploy to a test system.

muribe
New Contributor II

Don't forget to save your script: File > Save

mreaso
New Contributor III

Thanks, @muribe.... will try it out tomorrow.

mreaso
New Contributor III

Hi @muribe... tried it earlier but for some reason the script won't start. Not sure why. However, I've made some workaround and it went pretty well. This is my workaround...
1. Created a folder from root /McAfeeTemp
2. Then I've change the permission = 777
3. Open Composer then I drag the said folder.
4. Package it as .pkg
5. I created a script to install and remove the said folder after install
6. Drag it to Admin then include it in the imaging process - Triggered After Reboot

Finally it's working pretty well. Thanks for all your assistance.