Enable Wi-Fi on device locked with passcode

brownbe
New Contributor III

I had a teacher come in today with an iPad that had a passcode on it. The device was not on Wi-Fi so I could not remotely clear the passcode. Is there a way to enable Wi-Fi without being able to access the settings? I tried sliding up for the control center (or whatever it's called) and had no luck. I'll probably have to wipe it but we'd like to access some data on the device first if we can. Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

jesseshipley
Contributor

Is wifi actually turned off or is it just not connecting to the network? If wifi is switched to off I think you may be out of luck.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Try plugging it into power. Often the wifi radio is shut off to preserve battery. If it's on power, it's less likely to turn the radio off and may actually kick it on again.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I would make sure its connected to power and make sure its in range of any wifi network that it is already configured to use. If neither of those work you may be out of luck.

I did wonder if you could plug it into the iTunes library it is synced with but I think that still doesn't work if the device is in a locked state.

brownbe
New Contributor III

We were able to get the code from the student and get in. It seemed the Wi-Fi kicked in as soon as we unlocked the device. It would be nice if there were a way to connect to an administrator computer to unlock the device if Wi-Fi is disabled but I know that would likely never happen.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

It's an iOS 7+ or maybe 8 security feature.

Turn off a device connected to wireless, turn it on & do not enter a passcode. You shouldn't connect to wi-fi.

I mentioned it in IRC earlier & had others test it too.

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

Yeah.. It's actually really annoying, had this issue multiple times where a device had to be wiped because I was unable to get in to it with the user forgetting their passcode and the device not being connected to Wi-Fi

ssteiner
New Contributor II

I've had this problem as well. I found this video and the solution has worked for us so far :http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/10/video-connect-your-ipad-to-the-internet-via-ethernet-cable-with-this-easy-hack/

It's a hack to hardwire your iPad using an ethernet connection. I've already used to to connect and then unlock 3 iPads with Casper. Kind of a pain to set up, but I just leave it set up in my office so it's ready when I need it.

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

@ssteiner Did you use a router of some description to get it working? I gave it a go and had no luck, but I didn't use a router.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

Ive done this before as well, it works and is good for those times when students/staff can't remember their passcode and you want to be able to reset it via casper.

@Matt.Sim The ethernet connection needs to have DHCP maybe that was your problem?

systmdamage
New Contributor

I know that this is an old post, but if you are managing a lot of the newer iPads, you can use a lightning to RJ45 network adapter. Then you can send your commands from Jamf to reset the passcode. https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Ethernet-Yvelines-Converter-Connection/dp/B075TYL5J6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1541512995&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=lightning+to+rj45&psc=1

I hope this helps!

jzimmerman
New Contributor

Unfortunately, Apple killed this solution in iOS 12--accessories (like an Ethernet adapter) won't work while the iPad is locked.

Seriously, Apple, stop.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@jzimmerman Send a Configuration Profile to your fleet, in Restrictions uncheck 'Allow USB restricted mode'.