Wipe the devices and automatically re-enroll

darkandy
New Contributor

Dear all,

As title, can jss send a command wipe the device data and then automatically re-enroll?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

daz_wallace
Contributor III

With just Casper? No. Once you've wiped it, the device is effectively removed from Casper as there is nothing on the client (e.g. the jamf tool) to tell the client to reenrol.

However, this should kinda work with DEP. If the device is enrolled with DEP, when the, ahem 'missing Mac' is reinstalled and runs through the first setup assistant, it should talk to Apple for activation (similar to iOS) and reenrol with Casper. Funnily enough I was chatting to a colleague about this a few days ago. You could have some fun with continually pushing out remote wipes on a missing Mac each time it re-enrols :)

I've not tried all of the above steps but it reads as the expected behaviour.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@darkandy iOS or OSX? Data in JSS or on device?

daz_wallace
Contributor III

With just Casper? No. Once you've wiped it, the device is effectively removed from Casper as there is nothing on the client (e.g. the jamf tool) to tell the client to reenrol.

However, this should kinda work with DEP. If the device is enrolled with DEP, when the, ahem 'missing Mac' is reinstalled and runs through the first setup assistant, it should talk to Apple for activation (similar to iOS) and reenrol with Casper. Funnily enough I was chatting to a colleague about this a few days ago. You could have some fun with continually pushing out remote wipes on a missing Mac each time it re-enrols :)

I've not tried all of the above steps but it reads as the expected behaviour.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

I think I read on another post here on JAMF nation that unless the 'missing Mac' is connected to the internet when the setup assistant is run DEP will not be enforced. Maybe someone else can confirm that.

Edit: The post I was referencing is https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=13334