Ideas to Prevent Major Software Updates for admin users

ftiff
Contributor

I believe it has been discussed extensively but couldn't find the right answer. Maybe I have the wrong problem ;-)

How would you prevent admin users doing major updates eg. 10.11 ?
Maybe simply set a warning when user launches the update? Or a plist to hide it from store ?

I'm not talking about locking the system, simply discouraging 'basic' users to upgrade on day 1.
If the power users want to do it, it's fine.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@ftiff We add the installer as a restricted app, under there you can set to stop the process or just alert people.

View solution in original post

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

The process name to restrict Is InstallAssistant

See here to prevent betas

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203018

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@ftiff We add the installer as a restricted app, under there you can set to stop the process or just alert people.

manyusersaccoun
New Contributor

disable App store

that always goes down well

:)

ftiff
Contributor

@bentoms Great idea !
@Oparah Does it work for OS X releases (10.10 -> 10.11) or only updates (10.10.3 -> 10.10.4) ? ok so you edited your post… :p No I need to keep Mac App Store !

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Same as @bentoms, we add the app to restricted software, displaying a message to the user to explain the situation. We've found that we need to do this very quickly after the new version is released. We had some users upgrade to 10.10 within a few hours of it being released last year!

ftiff
Contributor

Haha good to know!

And know that I think about it, how do you prevent beta versions of OS X ? the same way ?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Yep, same method.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

The process name to restrict Is InstallAssistant

See here to prevent betas

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203018

ftiff
Contributor

Thanks @tkimpton !

jason_bracy
Contributor III

Although you will always end up with savvy technical users who will know how to download the beta, use the "createinstallmedia" command to make a bootable USB installer and install it that way. I've just done some testing and both QuickAdd and local enrollment fail on 10.11. Not sure what will happen with an upgraded computer that is already enrolled.