dockutil parameters and spaces

peterj04
New Contributor

I have a dockutil script that works great, but when I try to add a line for a parameter it gets kind of funky.

Currently the script is written as:

ConUser=`/bin/ls -l /dev/console | awk '//{print $3 }'`

#Remove All Dock Items
sudo -u $ConUser dockutil --remove all  --no-restart

#Add Dock Items
sudo -u $ConUser dockutil --add /Applications/Safari.app 
sudo -u $ConUser dockutil --add /Applications/Google Chrome.app
sudo -u $ConUser dockutil --add /Applications/iPhoto.app
sudo -u $ConUser dockutil --add /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Word.app
sudo -u $ConUser dockutil --add /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Excel.app
sudo -u $ConUser dockutil --add /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft PowerPoint.app
sudo -u $ConUser dockutil --add /Applications/Dictionary.app
sudo -u $ConUser dockutil --add /Applications/Calculator.app
sudo -u $ConUser dockutil --add $4

In the dock policy I have added a parameter ($4) in this case that is:

/Applications/Google Earth.app

I have escaped the space as well as tried using quotes, but the script still ends up failing. I tried removing the space from the application on the client and then also removing the space from the parameter and the icon is then added.

So my question is why the space is being ignored? What the script is only seeing when the space is there is "Earth.app" and tries to look for it as a home directory or plist.

The error I get from the log:

Script exit code: 1 Script result: Earth.app' does not seem to be a home directory or a dock plist

My end goal here is to allow our field techs to have a predefined dock and they can add additional dock items specific to their schools via the parameter option.

9 REPLIES 9

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

I had to start using single quotes (I think when Yosemite came out?), this is with Dockutil 2.0.2 which was also updated for Yosemite.

#!/bin/bash

DOCKUTIL=/usr/local/bin/dockutil

$DOCKUTIL --remove all

$DOCKUTIL --add '/Applications/Launchpad.app' --no-restart

$DOCKUTIL --add '/Applications/Google Chrome.app' --no-restart

$DOCKUTIL --add 'System Preferences' --no-restart

$DOCKUTIL --add '~/Downloads'

exit 0

peterj04
New Contributor

We are on Casper 9.62 and there were some issues with spaces prior to 9.72 so I'm going to upgrade our JSS and see what the results are.

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

That bug is unrelated. That had to do with package file names.

To test, I would change the last line to

echo sudo -u $ConUser dockutil --add $4

so you can see what it thinks $4 is.

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

@peterj04 listed below is what I use along with a launch agent

#!/bin/bash

# Running checkSetupDone function to determine if the rest of this script needs to run.
# Yes, if $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.viasat.docksetup.plist file does not exist.
# Otherwise, assume this setup script has already run for this user and does not
# need to run again.

checkSetupDone()    {

if [ -f $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.company.docksetup.plist ] ; then
        exit 0
    fi

}

configureDefaultDock()  {

DOCKUTIL=/usr/local/bin/dockutil

$DOCKUTIL --remove all --no-restart

$DOCKUTIL --add '/Applications/Launchpad.app' --no-restart

$DOCKUTIL --add '/Applications/Safari.app' --no-restart

$DOCKUTIL --add '/Applications/Self Service.app' --no-restart

$DOCKUTIL --add '/Applications/Mission Control.app' --no-restart

$DOCKUTIL --add '/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Word.app' --no-restart

$DOCKUTIL --add '/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Outlook.app' --no-restart

$DOCKUTIL --add '/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft PowerPoint.app' --no-restart

$DOCKUTIL --add '/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Excel.app' --no-restart

$DOCKUTIL --add '/Applications/Microsoft Lync.app' --no-restart

$DOCKUTIL --add '/Applications/Cisco/Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.app' --no-restart

$DOCKUTIL --add '/Applications' --no-restart

$DOCKUTIL --add '~/Downloads'

touch $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.viasat.docksetup.plist

}

checkSetupDone
configureDefaultDock

exit 0

peterj04
New Contributor

Oddly enough when I add the echo command it appears that it's doing exactly what it should be doing, but the icon still doesn't show up.

Executing Policy barton-Student Dock with Custom TEST... Running script Dock Default - Student Custom... Script exit code: 0 Script result: sudo -u barton-stutest dockutil --add /Applications/Google Earth.app

As you can see, it is adding in the proper backslash automatically, however the dock item still isn't being added to the dock for some reason. If I remove the echo command it reverts back to incorrect syntax being passed which states that "Earth.app" is not a home directory or plist.

I don't know much about scripting so I apologize so I'm quite lost now. I will have to do some further testing tomorrow.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@peterj04 I just tested using a variable for the application name with my method of deploying, and it appears to work fine. You might try it this way:

#!/bin/sh

loggedInUser=`/bin/ls -l /dev/console | /usr/bin/awk '{ print $3 }'`
myUser="/Users/${loggedInUser}"

# set the path to dockutil
du='/private/var/inte/bin/dockutil'

$du --add "$4" $myUser

peterj04
New Contributor

I see you used double quotes around the $4 parameter. I added single quotes at one point and still experienced the same results, but I have not tried double quotes if that makes a difference.

I will have to test further with the above examples and see what I find out. Thank you all for the replies!

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

as everyone else has already said single quotes if you list the path
ie

/usr/local/bin/dockutil --add '/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Word.app'

Double quotes if the app is in a variable

/usr/local/bin/dockutil --add "$my_app"

peterj04
New Contributor

Well ultimately the problem appears to be that...

#!/bin/sh

...was missing, once I added that to the top of the script, things seemed to have started working now. Since I don't write scripts and was using a script that someone else originally created, I didn't know any better.

Thanks for everyones help!