Integrating DEP into JSS.

taugust04
Valued Contributor

So I'm working on a development/test server with the following conditions in place:

• Casper 9.72
  • Enrollment by URL is enabled.
  • My university is enrolled in DEP program with Apple (deploy.apple.com). An account has been created with access.
  • Devices are enrolled in DEP for testing (4 iPads).
  • The JSS has been linked to DEP, with the proper token and public key. And the test iPads that are enrolled in DEP are showing up at both Apple's site and in the JSS

The issue I'm coming across is I'm not seeing any enrollment request when I turn on the devices and try to configure them from scratch. The devices were previously supervised in Apple Configurator, but they were removed from supervision in Configurator so they are no longer supervised by that system - this was done before adding their serial numbers with Apple DEP.

OTA enrollment by direct URL is working. I've read both Apple's and Casper's DEP documentation and I feel like I'm missing something, but not sure what.

The only thing that is unclear is that my JSS server is not exposed to the public internet. I can't seem to get a clear answer on whether this server needs to be in a DMZ for DEP to work. I am connecting the devices to WiFi on a network that has access to the JSS for enrollment.

The only thing I haven't done is setup a pre-stage enrollment. Is this required for this to all work? I just want to make sure I'm doing this right before opening an official request for support from either JAMF or Apple.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

qhle373
Contributor

Yeah you have to setup pre-stage enrollment for them.

View solution in original post

wdpickle
Contributor

Did you tick the box (under scope) to apply the prestage to the iPads?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

qhle373
Contributor

Yeah you have to setup pre-stage enrollment for them.

taugust04
Valued Contributor

@qhle373 - thanks for the reply. The way I read the documentation it was hinted at this, but I wasn't sure if this was a requirement. Setting up a test pre-stage now. Thanks!

qhle373
Contributor

Yeah you'll run into that scenario alot. Thank goodness for jamfnation! Good luck!

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Hmmm... setup a pre-stage enrollment. Seems to still not be working. :-(

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

FWIW we have it setup and working and the JSS is in the DMZ. Haven't tried it on a closed network but in the cases I've been working on, wifi is too locked down for it to work anyway.

wdpickle
Contributor

Did you tick the box (under scope) to apply the prestage to the iPads?

taugust04
Valued Contributor

@wdpickle - that was it! So there was some type of error the first time I scoped it. The second time through - they became "assigned", and after a reset of the iPad(s), they started picking up the DEP settings.

Thanks all!