Outlook 2016 Standalone Package

Philsto
New Contributor II

Has anyone extracted Outlook 2016 for a standalone package from Office 2016 and what have your experiences been?

Also, if so, have you done any testing in deploying Office 2016 after deploying Outlook 2016 standalone and any issues (like database replacement)?

We are facing a scenario where we may need to quickly deploy Outlook 2016 for a small subset of our users, but are reluctant to deploy Office as well without a thorough test/pilot of all applications...

12 REPLIES 12

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

The last updates were full installers, so you shouldn't have to extract anything... just test the Outlook "update"...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=47680

Office 2016 was in beta testing for over a year and based on the iPad apps. Of course it's not going to be prefect but I am sure it's many time better than 2011..

C

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

lol

that update was just an update ... you can get the full installers here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3082420

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

The pkg you can get from your VLSC downloads is 15.13.3, and only 1.2GB. I wouldn't mess with updates, it's a mess having 3GB+ of updates for the full suite.

Philsto
New Contributor II

Thanks guys, I ask because this was forwarded to us by our MS TAM:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt269075(v=office.16).aspx

"Microsoft does not provide tools for IT administrators to deploy Outlook 2016 for Mac. However third-party tools are available, for example JAMF Software Casper Suite."

However, this does not address a standalone upgrade. So i will take a look at the links and check it out.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

You shouldn't have any issues deploying the full Office 2016 on top of a standalone Outlook 2016. It would basically replace the Outlook 2016 app and won't mess with user data. Just make sure Outlook is quit before installing.

Personally, I would just deploy the full Office 2016 suite if you are thinking of deploying Outlook 2016, which is really the only app that could potentially have problems.

Philsto
New Contributor II

Yup, but I work in an enterprise situation. Full testing/validation/pilot is required before releasing a major tool like that...

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I also work in an enterprise situation, and 2016 has been in use in preview/beta (and a full O365 release) for a long time and we're comfortable with our understanding of the application and that it doesn't "break" anything pre-existing on the system because it doesn't touch Office 2011.

Heck, I've been using Outlook 15 for almost a year now. I suppose if you haven't been testing it, I understand why you'd want to go through a full validation process. We were chomping at the bit to get our hands on the VLSC version and basically ready to deploy it.

Philsto
New Contributor II

I've been using Outlook for about a year as well, as have others in the environment. The issue is less Outlook and more installing full Office with out a full test of all the elements, including excel scripts, etc.

In any event, moot point, as we're not going down that road.

I'll check the updaters, thanks.

talkingmoose

Check your volume license account. While I haven't been able to check myself, I was told you can also download individual apps from Office 2016 for Mac. If so, I'd expect it to contain the license file too.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

Yep, I have confirmed the standalone installers are volume license account too!!!

psherman
New Contributor

Is office 2016 standalone out, not just the 365 version?

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Yes, your VLSC site has Office 2016 15.13.3 which does not require O365 activation (there are lots of threads addressing the caveat of the license file not installing properly via some deployment methods).