Venue?

andyinindy
Contributor II

So, the question is, where do we hold the "First Annual JNUC Beer Swap"?

There are not many restaurants that are BYOB that would be convenient. There was some discussion of the Aloft hotel lobby, but I am not sure how they'd feel about outside booze, since there is a bar right there. Any other ideas as to where we could hold this shindig?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Brock
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Hey guys,

I can't guarantee anything at this point, but I'm hoping that JAMF can host this at our office. I'll update this once I find out more.

Thanks, Brock

View solution in original post

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

Ok, I was able to confirm that we can do this at the JAMF office (since we do 'internal sessions' often). And since it was moved to Thursday I will be able to attend as well. I may have a few things to contribute....

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45

Brad_G
Contributor II

The Aloft will ask you to leave with anything that isn't purchased at their bar. I walked into that area with one I'd brought down from my room last year and I was told to finish it up or take it out of there.

lkrasno
Contributor II

Anybody traveling from VT ?

Would gladly trade Pliny for some of your fine HT

charliwest
Contributor II

We are speaking to a couple of places about some space for it, will keep you updated.

Also please note the idea is we drink the beers there and then ;)

Although I guess if people also want to arrange actual swaps this is also ok of course.

charliwest
Contributor II

Looks like the wed isn't going to fly for most people so I changed it to the thurs, this way we can preload at happy hour, then get to the real stuff after ;)

andyinindy
Contributor II

FYI, there is a possibility that Code42 may host this event at their offices. Nothing is finalized yet, but there is hope!

Not applicable

I'll have some of Chicago's finest on hand. Half Acre, Two Brothers, Three Floyds, Revolution..

Brock
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Hey guys,

I can't guarantee anything at this point, but I'm hoping that JAMF can host this at our office. I'll update this once I find out more.

Thanks, Brock

andyinindy
Contributor II

Oh, hell yes @Brock! That'd be amazing, man! Really hope it works out. Let us know! There's some amazing beer in it for all you JAMFs...

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

Ok, I was able to confirm that we can do this at the JAMF office (since we do 'internal sessions' often). And since it was moved to Thursday I will be able to attend as well. I may have a few things to contribute....

rcastorani
New Contributor II

This thread alone has convinced me I need to attend this conference...

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

Mikey to the rescue! (At least for those of you who drink...)

@mike.paul Any word on official tours or things of that sort for the rest of us?

andyinindy
Contributor II

Huzzah!! This is going to be epic!!

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

I am so tagging along. My contribution will be high-fives.

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

@mscottblake Are we talking about tours of the different local breweries? I have not lined anything like that up.

If were talking about tours of our office its nothing too exciting and again, not planned. We will be in the renovated town hall area, plenty of seating, close to the bathrooms and a nice PA to play some jams.

coveyj1
New Contributor

Oh yeah! I'll see what goodies I can gather up/have laying around from the Cincinnati area.

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

@mike.paul I was referring to the offices. No worries. Sounds like a good time.

bollman
Contributor II

Hm, it seems one will have to drag a few bottles of beer all the way across the atlantic!

kevin5495
New Contributor III

Coming from VT, I may have some HTs and whatever else fits in my suitcase.

lkrasno
Contributor II

@kevin5495 awesome !

let me know if you have any requests for any nor cal brews

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Beer I am bringing:

Central Waters Black Gold 2015 (1414 stout aged 3 years in Rye whiskey barrels)
Central Waters 17 (anniversary stout aged in bourbon barrels)
New Glarus Belgian Red
New Glarus Raspberry Tart
New Glarus Serendipity
New Glarus Bourbon Barrel Bramble Berry (an R&D release from earlier this year
Lakefront Imperial Pumpkin
And maybe some more items from my "cellar" (really is my coat closet ;-). Maybe we should do a Google Doc of who is bringing what.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Because I love organization, I have created a spreadsheet for people to put in things they are bringing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C7WIXhBccEXGSz_qZ0ZfS224WCRI7uFwWpQVd1tbXkY/edit?usp=sharing

I don't know beer things but I do love a good spreadsheet.

coveyj1
New Contributor

@RobertHammen Nice! I have really enjoyed the few New Glarus sours I have had. I guess I am going to have to dig deep around these parts. If there are any requests from Cincinnati area or Kentucky I will see what I can do.

bollman
Contributor II

The micro-brewery-thingy is quite new here in Sweden, but we do have some great stuff. I think it will be OK to bring 3 bottles in to the US? Read somewhere that one liter will be fine (not interested in getting stuck in customs).
I'll update the spreadsheet...

charliwest
Contributor II

The newest info I could find was this http://lazenne.com/pages/taking-alcohol-on-a-plane-101

I think as you are visiting, class them as gifts, and declare them then at most you might have to pay a couple of dollars at most. I will be bringing between 3 and 6 larger bottles, I think thats the most I can get away with in my suitcase comfortably.

@bollman if you find Yellow Belly by Buxton/Omnipollo, seems to be available more in Sweden than anywhere else at the moment its worth a try if you like peanuts and stouts ;)

Brock
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

@bollman There is no official limit on beer as it falls into a different category than spirits (which are heavily regulated), so you can easily bring 3 or more bottles. I can pm anyone looking for tips, but the basic idea is to keep them intact and keep them in their own water tight bag so they don't ruin the rest of your luggage if they do break. Wrapping them in socks and zip lock bags works pretty well, but the more padding the better.

bollman
Contributor II

Hm, no Yellow Belly.
If you can stand Swedish, you can always search for anything we can get in Sweden here:
http://www.systembolaget.se
There will be a question about age first, make sure you're over 21 ;-)
We have monopoly on alcohol sales as you may know. Systembolaget is government owned sole supplier.
If you find anything special, I can try to get it, there's not a lot of time at hand, but if it's available in any store in Sweden, they will deliver it in less than a week.

robintosh
New Contributor II

I wonder how far away can beer come from? I'll try my best to bring beer from Punta Arenas, which is almost right next to Antarctica!

lwindram
Contributor

Any suggestions on cooling beverages before this event? Some of our 'merican beers are intended to be served cool. And given the fall we have had in the upper midwest so far, I am losing faith in Mother Nature providing refrigeration.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Wonder if @Brock can chime in on cooling/storage. I'll have a cooler or two, and may want to drop them off over at the JAMF offices on Thursday morning.

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

@Brock is based in Amsterdam so its late his time now. But that does mean we expect him to bring great euro beers; e.g. Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, De Molen, etc.... ;)

We should be able to accommodate coolers. We do have a beverage fridge but i dont know who will be around in the office and not at the Guthrie to help with getting them there. Dropping off coolers would not be an issue. I'll try to have a cooler there or something to accommodate what people bring even though i'll be at the Guthrie the whole time.

charliwest
Contributor II

Could we perhaps arrange some sort of staggered drop off with you @mike.paul over the week?

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

Again, not gonna work well. I'm busy the whole time running the stages at the Guthrie, wont be at the office at all nor do i wish to deal with that while at the JNUC. I will work on something and let the group know.

andyinindy
Contributor II

I'll probably just use the mini fridge/ice buckets at the Aloft...

charliwest
Contributor II

good thinking @andyinindy, if people like I can probably keep a couple of extra's in my aloft fridge as well, then we grab them on route to the office from the happy hour?

charliwest
Contributor II

For those not following the other discussion or my edits to the event, this is on the 15th after the JNUC Happy Hour, not on the 14th before the JAMF party. Sorry for the confusion.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Awesome idea! How does this work, exactly? I just buy a few bottles of beer in Los Angeles and swap with you fine people during the meet up? Is there a requirement to consume the beer immediately upon exchange? :)

charliwest
Contributor II

The idea for this one is to share and taste together, although there might also be a place to do some actual swaps, but primarily taste there and then when we meet after happy hour on the Thursday.

lkrasno
Contributor II

Swapping please ! Anything from Nor Cal (including cash, name your price) for some Heady Topper

Would JAMF be able to cater snacks ? Pizza ? Sushi ?

Brock
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Hey @lkrasno,

JAMF will host the gathering, and you are welcome to have any food you would like delivered, but this would not be something that JAMF will be providing.

+1 for some Heady Topper. And I agree it would be great to do a blind taste test between Heady and Pliny (for science)...