Error: "An exception of class NilObjectException was not handled" during imaging.

DanSam
New Contributor III

Ok. So, I have been all around JAMFnation and found the following article that is supposed to fix the exact issue that I am having:

http://www.macos.utah.edu/documentation/administration/setup_netboot_service_on_mac_os_x_10.6.x_client.x_client/setup_netboot_service_on_mac_os_x_10.6.x_client-diskless_netboot.html

The problem is that I can download the file, but not put it in the directory since it is a "read-only file structure." I have tried editing the file with the same results. I have tried making a copy of the NBI and editing it outside of the netboot directory and even enabled the root account and tried to edit it using that. Same error in terminal for those that are thinking it...

I am unsure what to do now and where to go from here.Do I need to build a new MBI with the rc.netboot file built into it? Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get rid of the original error?

System info:
OS 10.10.4
JSS 9.72

Any help would be appreciated,
Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@DanSam Have you the com.macmule.AutoCasperNBI.plist available from the Mac you created the NBI on?

That should show if ticked the rc.netboot option.. If not, should be trivial to create a 10.10.5 NBI using AutoCasperNBI with that option ticked.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@DanSam you should give @bentoms AutoCasperNBI software a whirl. It works great for making NBI sets. If you use AutoDMG to make your BaseOS it's a snap.

NowAllTheTime
Contributor III

What OS version are you using System Image Utility on to create your NBI? The disk image inside the NBI should be read/write and allow you to place the rc.netboot file in the /etc directory of the mounted image.

DanSam
New Contributor III

@mpermann I actually used AutoCaperNBI to make this NBI originally. I just heard back from my support rep and he recommends using AutoImagrNBI to create a new nbi. I was hoping to avoid that...

@jasonaswell The nbi was created in AutoCasperNBI a few months ago. The operating system was Mavericks.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@DanSam before AutoCasperNBI when I manually made my NetBoot sets I would have to follow the instructions at the link you posted above. But since switching to AutoCasperNBI I don't. It takes care of everything for me. What are you hosting your NetBoot sets on? We are hosting ours on a MacMini with 10.10.5 as the OS and server 4.1.5 and haven't had any problems using Casper Imaging. Have a look at this thread.

Brad_G
Contributor II

Does you're NetBoot set work aside from the error? (I'm assuming this is a Casper Imaging error)

If you're trying to replace the rc.netboot file how are you going about it?

I update the Casper Imaging application within created NetBoot sets all the time. I mount the NetBoot share (in my case a NetSUS appliance) and using Terminal navigate to the .nbi folder where the NetBoot.dmg is. Use the command "hdiutil attach NetBoot.dmg". That mounts a read/write capable volume on the desktop. I swap out my app and then "hdiutil detach /dev/disk1s2" (or whatever the disk gets mounted as) and I'm done.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@DanSam Have you the com.macmule.AutoCasperNBI.plist available from the Mac you created the NBI on?

That should show if ticked the rc.netboot option.. If not, should be trivial to create a 10.10.5 NBI using AutoCasperNBI with that option ticked.

DanSam
New Contributor III

Sorry I have not posted a response until now. I did rebuild the NBI using AutoCasperNBI and made sure that the rc.netboot option was checked this time.

We had not had the issue before now, so I did not know why that particular option was even there, so it never got clicked.

We are back up and running now and have not had any issues since.

Thank you all very much.

alexmcclements
Contributor

I got this error recently and all because I added a script to set the time zone on the machine into the configuration, I removed it and no longer get the error.