ipmitool setup/configure assistance

benducklow
Contributor III

This might be a longshot, but I figured I would throw this out there - I am trying to configure/setup an old xServe backup server with lights out management functionality (there was never anything configured on this box before). Essentially I just want the ability to remotely power up the system in case the machine gets shut down or encounters some other power failure issue via the command line.

Does anyone have any command line code that they've used to set this up? I have a static IP (and DNS) already on standby, I just need to "program things" at this point. I just want to get the correct syntax based off the ipmitool man page.

Any assistance with this legacy topic would be appreciated.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@benducklow you should be able to use Server Monitor running on a machine to configure the Lights Out Management (LOM) port on the XServe. Once that is done, it's just a matter of issuing the ipmitool commands to power off and on:

ipmitool -H <ipaddress> -U lomadmin -P <password> power off
ipmitool -H <ipaddress> -U lomadmin -P <password> power on

If LOM is not setup, I found this article on setting it up from the terminal. You should be able to ssh into the server and run these commands:

http://bioteam.net/2009/12/setting-up-lom-on-an-apple-xserve-from-the-command-line/

benducklow
Contributor III

Thanks @stevewood! I did see that post you linked to, but seeing it was pretty old, I thought I would ask around ;)

The XServe is running Mavericks and from I understand the Server Monitoring app stopped functioning an anything past 10.7. Are you able to remotely configure LOM from the Server Monitoring app on a system other than the XServe? I was thinking of setting up a 10.6/.7 VM or something to do that if possible?

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@benducklow my understanding is that LOM is only available on the XServe hardware, so a VM would not work.

I was just able to set LOM on an XServe running Mavericks via the command line using the URL I sent.

benducklow
Contributor III

Using the same exact code? I assume if I wanted to use 'lead-in', i would use that instead of 'admin' in that second section of code listed below?

ipmitool lan set 1 ipaddr <Static IP Address>
ipmitool lan set 1 netmask <Network Mask>
ipmitool lan set 1 defgw ipaddr <Gateway>
ipmitool lan set 1 access on
ipmitool lan set 1 arp respond on
+++
ipmitool user set name 2 admin
ipmitool user set password 2
** You get to type the password twice **
ipmitool user enable 2
+++
ipmitool user priv 2 4 1

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@benducklow you are correct. Also, the number 1 refers to the channel, or ethernet port that is being used. So if you are in eth0 it's channel 1 and if you are in eth1 it's channel 2.

benducklow
Contributor III

Thanks so much for the information and confirmation on all this @stevewood!