Frequent Invalid Path Errors on Some Machines

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

I've been pushing out Office 2016 updates since it came out, and while it hasn't always been smooth, it's been just fine. Lately(post 9.81) I've started seeing an absurd increase in invalid path errors. Here's an example from OneNote:

Executing Policy Install Cached OneNote Update...
Installing AUTO-Microsoft-Office-OneNote-15.15.1.pkg...
Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Error the package path specified was invalid: '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/AUTO-Microsoft-Office-OneNote-15.15.1.pkg'.
Running Recon...

This would be a fine starting point if this happened for everyone. Right now, it seems to be 50/50 regardless of 10.10 or 10.11. I thought at first that maybe it was a download+install issue since we were using Box as a distribution point. To rule that out, I split it into two policies(cache&install cached). it happens at about the same rate. I've confirmed permissions were set correctly. I thought it may have to do with how the packages were created(AutoPkgr), but then I'd expect it to either fail on everyone or work just fine. I considered it being because the app was open, but I've tested pushing all of them to currently running instances with no issues.

Anyone have any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

It seems to have been due to the length of package names. The ones with shorter names installed more reliably. To fix this, I removed the "Office" from the standard template name of "AUTO-Microsoft-Office-[product]-[version].pkg.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

It seems to have been due to the length of package names. The ones with shorter names installed more reliably. To fix this, I removed the "Office" from the standard template name of "AUTO-Microsoft-Office-[product]-[version].pkg.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I'd be interested if others can confirm this issue? I have seen packages not installing with this same error, but could never find the problem. I'd hate to have to go through all my packages and have to rename a good majority of them.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools