iPad with locked passcode can't be DFU'd

david_yenzer
Contributor II

We have an iPad that has a 4-digit passcode that an unknown student has generously decided to test us with - and after attempting a DFU and clicking Restore iPad > Restore and Update > agreeing to iOS 9.2.1 update > and agreeing to terms > it errs out with:

"There was a problem downloading the software for the iPad "iPad". You do not have permission to access the requested resource. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later."

What are our options for this iPad? If we call Apple support will they be able to clear the code or wipe the device? The iPad is not yet in our DEP/JSS program, so we are of course going to use this as incentive to convert this teacher's cart.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lazyGhost
New Contributor III

I'm assuming you're trying with iTunes?

Couple of things that may help:

• Bad lightning cable. I've banged my head against the desk many times only to have it work after using a different cable.
  • Try restoring with Apple Configurator.
  • Delete and re-download the ipsw firmware file.
  • Try wiping on a different machine to see if you get the same result.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

lazyGhost
New Contributor III

I'm assuming you're trying with iTunes?

Couple of things that may help:

• Bad lightning cable. I've banged my head against the desk many times only to have it work after using a different cable.
  • Try restoring with Apple Configurator.
  • Delete and re-download the ipsw firmware file.
  • Try wiping on a different machine to see if you get the same result.

david_yenzer
Contributor II

Yes, I was using iTunes. I have already attempted a DFU on a different machine (using iTunes) and I don't think it is a bad lightning cable since I used the same cable today to restore three other iPads that were whining about a SCEP server that doesn't exist.

But I'll swap out the cable anyway, and I'll give Apple Configurator a try. If those fail, then I'll brush up on the ipsw firmware and give that a go. Never done that before.

Thanks for the suggestions!

JZaczyk
New Contributor

There's also a little applet called Reboot that'll force an iDevice into DFU without any tricky timing. Might be worth a look.

david_yenzer
Contributor II

BOOM! This issue is resolved. Thanks lazyGhost!

I didn't have any luck with a different cable or attempting a restore 10 different ways in AC2, so I finally looked into the ipsw firmware suggestion - basically google the iOS version you want for the model of device you have, download it. Then hold the option key down as you're clicking the restore button. Then select the file you downloaded and viola!

Here's the website I found with instructions on ipsw:
http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/23/how-to-use-ipsw-files/