How to "download OSX" from the app store to add to JSS?

CCNapier
Contributor

Returning to this after a long period away, can't remember how to do this!

Deploying OSX with Capser documentation (https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=173) says "You can obtain the latest .app file for OS X from the Mac App Store.".

I can download OSX, but it starts the install on my Mac. How do I get my hands on the actual APP file so that I can add it to the JSS?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gavin_pardoe
New Contributor III

You will find it in your Applications folder. Called "Install OS X El Capitan" Just cancel the install splash screen.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

gavin_pardoe
New Contributor III

You will find it in your Applications folder. Called "Install OS X El Capitan" Just cancel the install splash screen.

Matthew_Ramsay
New Contributor III

Never mind...misunderstood the question.... :/

Jens_Mansson
New Contributor

If you want is as pkg i recommend createOSXinstallPkg then you can publish it to SelfService, dont forget to configure restart option "Startup Disk" to "OS X Installer". This setup doesn't need a script.

CCNapier
Contributor

@gavin.pardoe I've not looked at this for so long. Thanks :)

dvasquez
Valued Contributor

After you download the .app from the Apple Apps Store you can just drag the .app into Casper Admin. I am doing this for El Cap 10.11.4. What version of the JSS are you using? I know that currently it works very well 9.82. I have also used what Jens.Mansson mentioned and that did work very well for us before.

Once loaded into Casper Admin and replicated (if needed) you can move to create your policy. Yes reboot options are very important. We are deploying this way in a pretty large organization. I am allowing OS X update from Self Service.

Jens_Mansson
New Contributor

@dvasquez cheers, didn't know that OSX app file worked in Admin =) (1month using macs and casper)

Sanchi
Contributor

I didn't know the .app could be dragged straight into Casper Admin. Up til now I've been using the method mentioned by @Jens.Mansson

Might take a look at that functionality with the version after El Capitan as I'm running JSS 9.82

thoule
Valued Contributor II

@sancheeto I just drag El Cap into Casper Admin and run it on target machines. Works well!

kerouak
Valued Contributor

yup, same! .. then use it in imaging configurations for any mac model.....
sorted!

EvstersTech
New Contributor

If putting the app into Self Service- I would assume the restart option would need to be set to OS X installer- any other special settings-

Jens_Mansson
New Contributor

@EvstersTech No other settings needed, a good information window that you force the users to read is a good way to eliminate questions and let them know how long it takes. If you have filefault enabled then the authentication option in restart-tab is needed if you want to help users to skip that extra auth before osxinstaller triggers me thinks, not sure tho, have to test further.