Chrome Auto-Update (and others) fail across multiple machines

ShakataGaNai
New Contributor III

I have a small fleet of OSX machines (~40) running everything from 10.9 to 10.11. On roughly half the machines, Chrome auto-update fails. Specifically, a disk image mounts on the users desktop and the dmg window opens for the user. It's like they download and opened the DMG file, but they did not. It will happen at random intervals but some users have seen this happen as many as 6 times a day (and the open disk images will just keep stacking up on their desktop). I can't find any commonalities of these machines, not even all the copies of Chrome were installed via JAMF (some were downloaded direct, some installed via brew).

The machines run a variety of versions of OSX (as noted), various versions of Chrome, some of them are in office where as others are remote. We do run Sophos Cloud which I've tried disabling on some machines with no change. Most of these machines were pre-Casper Suite, so they weren't imaged (though some were).

I would just blow away Chrome and see about starting over, but I'm also seeing strange issues occur with Adobe Creative Cloud (machines being either unable to install, or the self-update mechanism failing repeatedly).

Anyone seen something like this? Thoughts? Suggestions on where I could go?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ShakataGaNai
New Contributor III

After hunting high and low based on some of the suggestions here, I found the issue: A configuration profile set to restrict Disk Images to Read-only

Configuration policies

This was originally set up with the best of intentions and the belief that installs from Disk Images are always a simple "drag to Applications folder". While that use case works fine, it appears that the more complex cases it does not. Some auto-update mechanisms break at random (Such as Chrome). Whereas others self-updates are totally broken (Such as Adobe). Some installers (again, Adobe and Spotify) are also broken by DMG's being forced to read-only. I suspect this is because the installers/updaters use the Disk Image as temporary working space (no proof, just a suspicion).

So. Read-only disk images are bad.... m'kay?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pblake
Contributor III

Do you have any "Restricted Applications" in your casper environment? From a high level assessment, it seems as if DMGs are mounted to launch something and are being restricted.

The commonality is all your machines are in Casper.

If not a restriction, I would look for a permissions issue with a package that is common to all the machines. There must be a package that you pushed to all machines. It is possible that this package "broke" something. If not a package look for a policy.

Good luck hunting.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@ShakataGaNai if some of the end users installed Chrome themselves it's possible they didn't copy the Chrome application off the DMG into their Applications folder. They may have also created a dock shortcut or alias to the Chrome application on the DMG that is causing the DMG to mount when they launch the application. You're probably going to need to take a look at the machines this is happening on to make sure the Chrome app is in their applications folder and there are no aliases, dock shortcuts or login items that are pointing to the Chrome app on a DMG.

ShakataGaNai
New Contributor III

@pblake you are, of course, correct in that Casper is one of the more major common factors. I do have some restricted apps but they are all full name, ex: "Boot Camp Assistant.app". I've been hunting around for permission issues but I can't find anything that would affect ALL apps. I've even checked /tmp/ and /private/tmp/

@mpermann Yea. That would make sense. I don't think that many people made said mistake but it's possible. The strangest part is that the issue comes and goes.

sean
Valued Contributor

Sounds like you have a couple of things going on here.

With this kind of repetition you are probably looking at something like a launchd item or a casper policy, but probably the later.

For example, if you have a policy to update Chrome if it is less than x the policy will run. If the policy is set to run periodically, then if an update failed, it will try and run the update again at next trigger time as Chrome is still less than x.

If a dmg is already mounted, it won't get mounted again. This would suggest that to have multiple mounts, each mount was mounted from a different dmg (a fresh downloaded version).

It sounds like there is a policy that is set to run periodically. The policy is downloading a copy of the Google and then possible running a script to do the install, including mounting/unmounting the dmg. As the update fails, it never gets to the unmounting part.

As to the fail, if there is a script to hunt down, this may give the clues as to why the updates aren't happening, e.g. permissions errors, file location, etc.

There should be logs that you can check. You could correlate the time of the logs against the time of the mounted volume (that would need to be the /dev/disks). The jamf binary has a whole bunch of options too, e.g. policy, so you could check what's going on there too.

ShakataGaNai
New Contributor III

After hunting high and low based on some of the suggestions here, I found the issue: A configuration profile set to restrict Disk Images to Read-only

Configuration policies

This was originally set up with the best of intentions and the belief that installs from Disk Images are always a simple "drag to Applications folder". While that use case works fine, it appears that the more complex cases it does not. Some auto-update mechanisms break at random (Such as Chrome). Whereas others self-updates are totally broken (Such as Adobe). Some installers (again, Adobe and Spotify) are also broken by DMG's being forced to read-only. I suspect this is because the installers/updaters use the Disk Image as temporary working space (no proof, just a suspicion).

So. Read-only disk images are bad.... m'kay?

gabriel_martine
New Contributor III

Thanks for the post @ShakataGaNai. We have been having this issues as well with one department, as I block their dmg access to read only to protect them from themselves. I guess I will now need to decide if opening it up is worth it. Thanks!

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

These read-only disk images appear to cause a lot of problems. Here's another post where unchecking that Read-Only box can solve a lot of problems.