Creating packages in Composer best practices?

NealIV
Contributor

When creating new packages in Composer do you log into your "packaging computer" using Root, hidden admin account or yourself?

I've been doing this for years but i am running into a issue where I create packages in Composer while logged into the Mac as myself and of course files that are installed under my user account appears in the main image.

Let me know what you guys do.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

dcgagne
Contributor

Typically I'll create pkg/dmg files under my main account. If I am compiling it as a pkg I'll be sure to remove any personal files/preferences so those are not deployed to end users.

If it's a dmg I verify if any files/preferences are needed or not and do the same. If they are needed it won't matter if they use my account, because changing the FUT/FEU will redirect their location(s).

chrisjuno
New Contributor

If I'm making simple packages for things like Firefox, etc. that I can just drop the App into my /Applications folder then drag it to Composer to make the package, I'll just do it from my Mac.
If I'm making a more complex package that requires a snapshot, I do that from a clean build Mac so that it doesn't include anything personal or old crust from my Mac.
Most times I need to adjust the permissions on items in the package and propagate them before I hit "Build as PKG".

eclemens
New Contributor II

When using Composer to create packages using snapshots or monitoring, it is analyzing the logged-in user home folder for changes and additions (mostly preferences, support files, etc.) and collects those changes for FEU (fill existing users homes) and FUT (fill user templates).

If you intend to collect the preference settings or support files that typically get installed, then you should be using a local admin account to login to the computer. I haven't tried it, but a "hidden" user account should work fine.

I avoid using a personal, network or "root" account with Composer unless I will be discarding any files collected on the logged-in home folder.