JSS/JDS Versions

retroroscoe
Contributor

Hi,

I was wondering do versions of JSS and JDS have to match?
I have this issue where every time there is an upgrade for the JDS it resets back to defaults and I have to re-configure my JDS so that it works on my network. This is both time consuming and painful. Why can't the JDS maintain the settings it already has?

2 REPLIES 2

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

Best Practice is for them to match.
Something like this may help you [JDS Config](lhttps://github.com/kitzy/MacDeploymentScripts/tree/master/JDSConfig)

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@retroroscoe

While best practice is to have matching versions, in this case, they don't need to match.

Support usually recommends, in the case of the JDS, that if your JDS is working, that you just not touch it and let it continue working; there have been instances when updating the JDS causes a previously working JDS to stop working. If the JDS is on 9.8x or higher it should be just fine to leave where it is.

There haven't been any major updates to the JDS, aside from the version number, in several versions so there's really not a reason to update the JDS unless you've absolutely got to have matching version numbers for internal compliance.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support