Failed Windows 2008 R2 9.96 Upgrade

jaycohen
New Contributor II

Hi All,

Just tried updating our Windows 2008 R2 SP2 JSS from 9.82 and got the first attached error right after it tried to start Tomcat.. I ran an a repair on the installer after it failed which completed the install and started Tomcat. The JSS got stuck at altering the mobile device applications installed table. I probably didn't give it enough time to fully alter it, about 30 mins (a later restore back to 9.82 took over 45 mins to alter it and that was just on restoring the backup).

Due to a caution from our TAM and to ensure a smooth update to Tomcat 8, I completely removed the JSS via Control Panel and deleted the JSS folder (after backing it up first). So there was no Tomcat to update.

The funny thing is that error happened when running the 9.82 installer as well. I ran a repair on that and I got the JSS to startup, but it displayed an error that I needed to upgrade from version 8 first. I had already dropped the database and recreated it and did the grant. Not sure why, but I dropped the database again, recreated it and restarted Tomcat without re-doing the grant again. Boom, it starts up and gets to the activation page. 1 hour later our JSS is back and working just as well prior to the upgrade.

I should also mention that I ran 40 Windows updates prior to the upgrade and experienced a Server Manager error: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2486109 . I had to restore the machine.config.default for machine.config to get it to run. I inherited this server a few months back and this is the fist major interaction I have had with it as it's been a busy summer and first month of school!

This is a physical rack mounted server with 16GB RAM and 32 2.6 GHz cores and I was using a local admin account, no UAC and no AV.

Any thoughts from Window Server experts out therse?? I am tempted to try to update again, run the repair and let it finish the update, but I really don't want to press forward until I can keep from getting the "failed to create" error. Maybe the error is nothing more than failing to create the 127.0.0.1:8443 final dialogue box.... but still.

111847b285be4cf48e21f9106207c3c9
be8257e4ed7c44f7bd19252d45459734
c96b8c9645ce42599f7ac7108589e7e3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jaycohen
New Contributor II

Crickets....

Tis all good, determined it was a server issue and will be, fingers crossed moving to a VM at 2012 R2!

J-

"The moon landing was faked, how else do you explain no one bringing back cheese?"

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

jaycohen
New Contributor II

Crickets....

Tis all good, determined it was a server issue and will be, fingers crossed moving to a VM at 2012 R2!

J-

"The moon landing was faked, how else do you explain no one bringing back cheese?"