Download APN Cert as .p12

jouwstrab
New Contributor III

I'm trying to get an APN Cert downloaded as a .p12 file instead of a .pem file. I'm trying to use [OneSignal.com](link URL).

Anyone have any ideas how to do this?

I tried downloading it from here but all I get is a .pem which doesn't work for me.

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/login?appIdKey=3fbfc9ad8dfedeb78be1d37f6458e72adc3160d1ad5b323a9e5c5eb2f8e7e3e2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

May
Contributor III

Hi @jouwstrab

I'm not sure if you can use the same process as creating a P12 for the the JSS Tomcat cert, if it is these are the steps i took.

Create a CSR from Keychain Access: Keychain Access > Certificate Assistant > Request a Certificate from a Certificate Authority
-Make sure the Server name is correct
(This will create a public and private key within the login keychain, you'll use the private key in step 3)

Request the certificate using the CSR you just created:
Open the CSR with a text editor then select all of the text and paste it into the request on your certificate provider

Create a new Keychain:
Keychain Access > Create New Keychain
(remember the password you use to create it)

Import the certs to the new Keychain:
Download the certificate from your certificate provider, i suspect this part may be different for your needs as i chose the certs for Tomcat, this gave me a folder with 3 certificates in it, 2 of those certs i dragged into the new Keychain,
the one cert i didn't drag in was name gdig2.crt.

Import the private key:
Highlight the Login Keychain and locate the private key with the same details as you you used to create the CSR,
drag that into your new keychain that has the 2 certs in already.

Export to P12:
Highlight all of the items in your new keychain, right click and choose Export and choose P12 as the format.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shibao_si
New Contributor II

export from Keychain Access, Maybe

franton
Valued Contributor III

You'll have to use the openssl command to do it. It's complex but here's an example of how it should be used.

openssl pkcs12 -export -in usercert.pem -inkey userkey.pem -out bundle.p12

That requires the original private key for the certificate plus the .pem file obtained from Apple.

May
Contributor III

Hi @jouwstrab

I'm not sure if you can use the same process as creating a P12 for the the JSS Tomcat cert, if it is these are the steps i took.

Create a CSR from Keychain Access: Keychain Access > Certificate Assistant > Request a Certificate from a Certificate Authority
-Make sure the Server name is correct
(This will create a public and private key within the login keychain, you'll use the private key in step 3)

Request the certificate using the CSR you just created:
Open the CSR with a text editor then select all of the text and paste it into the request on your certificate provider

Create a new Keychain:
Keychain Access > Create New Keychain
(remember the password you use to create it)

Import the certs to the new Keychain:
Download the certificate from your certificate provider, i suspect this part may be different for your needs as i chose the certs for Tomcat, this gave me a folder with 3 certificates in it, 2 of those certs i dragged into the new Keychain,
the one cert i didn't drag in was name gdig2.crt.

Import the private key:
Highlight the Login Keychain and locate the private key with the same details as you you used to create the CSR,
drag that into your new keychain that has the 2 certs in already.

Export to P12:
Highlight all of the items in your new keychain, right click and choose Export and choose P12 as the format.

jouwstrab
New Contributor III

@May Thank you! That solution worked for me :)

L0GANB
New Contributor

Is this solution for on prem, cloud or both?