Late 2016 15" MacBook Pro w/Touch Bar Booting w/macOS 10.12.1 16B2657

pcrandom
Contributor

I finally received a Late 2016 15" MacBook Pro w/Touch Bar and it came with 16B2659. I hadn't built a Casper Imaging NBI running that build yet, since I didn't have a system that was running it, but just for kicks I tried net booting to a test NBI running macOS 10.12.1 16B2657...

Surprise, it worked! No black screen with the "no" symbol. So I went ahead and loaded an actual macOS 10.12.1 16B2657 image on it, and that also worked! I checked to see if Software Updates would offer me an update to get to 16B2659, but it didn't. I've only been running this for 10-15 minutes and as far as I can tell, everything's working, including the Touch Bar.

Only quirk I noticed was that after the initial reboot from imaging, it prompted me to log into iCloud and to enable Siri and then logged into the Temporary Adobe Install Account, rather than hiding all of this behind the Casper Imaging splash screen. However, this happens on occasion anyway when imaging other systems, so I can't attribute it to this system running a non-native build for this model.

Anyone else see this and have had success or failures with it? I already built a 16B2659 base image using AutoDMG, so I don't have to use 16B2657, but just curious. I know 10.12.2 will be coming out soon since beta 5 was released today, so the fork will merge anyway.

6 REPLIES 6

bwiessner
Contributor II

I got a NBI 10.12.1 image working with casper imaging 9.96 the only issue I am seeing with the new Macbook Pro Touch bars is that I get the "failed to delete Core Storage" error message. I have to delete the drive in disk utility and then imaging will work. Might have to do with AutoCasperNBI that was used to build the NBI. @pcrandom how did you build your NBI?

pcrandom
Contributor

@bwiessner, I used AutoCasperNBI pointed to a 10.12.1 image created with AutoDMG.

bwiessner
Contributor II

@pcrandom - I created mine with AutoDMG too. I will try replacing my Casper imaging app with current version and try making sure I have the most recent version of ACNBI.

CAJensen01
Contributor

I created mine with AutoDMG as well, but am using DS to image. Are you guys not running into this issue? https://onemoreadmin.wordpress.com/

(TouchBar activation after imaging)

roiegat
Contributor III

Just out curiosity, when you reboot the new Macbook and hold CMD-R are you getting the error icon as well? Seems odd that they shipped a machine with a recovery partition. I ended up downloading Sierra and creating my own recovery partition.

pcrandom
Contributor

@CAJensen01 Nice detailed posts, but I hadn't seen that come up. Could be during Casper Imaging it's doing the update and rebooting? I did do a Disk Utility restore of an AutoDMG image ran just today (10.12.2 installer w/iTunes added) and had no problems.

@roiegat I assume you meant to say that it was odd they shipped a machine without a recovery partition. I hadn't tried it myself out of the box and by now I've imaged it a few times, and I believe the recovery partition was/is there after imaging, but I can't say whether it was the imaging that created it (most likely) or if it came with it.