Set Startup Disk from Apple Remote Desktop issues

PAC
Contributor

Hello From Canberra, AUS
So when imaging our labs/ school computers i wish to tell all computers to change startup disk to the netboot servers.
I will then tell them to restart and that should kick off our imaging. I can only do about 6 at a time before the netboot servers start to have issues ( mac mini's)

When changing the start up disk from ARD it only successfully completes the task on 2/3 computers at a time. i then have to go choose the ones that failed and do the same again until i work through them all.
Seems like a silly bug of ARD

Has anyone had this issue with ARD?

Anyone know if ARD will finally be updated/ improved?

Cheers
:)

6 REPLIES 6

tthurman
Contributor III

I'd imagine there is some sort of error as to why it fails to set the Startup Disk?

--
TJ

PAC
Contributor

I don't see where i am meant to get the error messages from?
it just says failed. (see attached image)
if i retry the task then some will work, and sometimes they all fail and sometimes they all might succeed.
Its very strange. i wish apple would update Apple Remote desktop a bit more. 6f3a0afd94ab4edf9d8707d2b0381814

Caist
New Contributor

I have the same issue actually. Were you ever able to resolve this?

mgshepherd
Contributor

Make that two, I've started prepping my labs for the new school year and I'm running into this issue.

PAC
Contributor

no luck so far.

we got a lab of 25 computer and only 2 set the startup disk when i try and do it bulk.
this idea of imaging a lab now bottlenecks before the imaging has even started :(

if there was an error, where would i find it?

Regards
Pete

PAC
Contributor

So did some more playing around.

I can select 10 computers and set the startup disk. some will fail but if i keep on clicking retry they will all be successful eventually.

This only happens with a Nbi netboot image.
If i select a base image that is on the same netboot server then they get it all just fine.

more digging to be done.

Regards