JSS trying to remove manually installed config profile

danshaw
Contributor II

Curious if anyone else has run into the problem of the JSS trying to uninstall a manually installed config profile. I created the profile in the JSS, then downloaded it and installed it with help from this post.

Everthing works, except I came back to check the JSS and found in the management tab that the JSS was trying to uninstall the config profile, but it was unsuccessful due to it not being installed via the JSS.

e5b2a02db8ba417b8b8a592803b2b728

I saw someone else had this issue. They solved it by going into the database and removing the UUID. I am hoping not to have to do this.

I need to install this config profile manually using a script in order to install it when a user is on our VPN.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Try scoping the profile itself to the same group of computers you are manually deploying it to, but leave it set to Self Service for install method. I think that'll keep the JSS from trying to remove it. We do this with our 802.1x Wi-Fi profile.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

tthurman
Contributor III

Why not use the profiles -I command?

You could probably deploy the profile itself via a DMG to a temp file. Then have a script run to install the profile.

Thoughts?

--
TJ

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Check out this thread: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/9498/remove-individual-os-x-configuration-profile-via-command-line

danshaw
Contributor II

Thanks @Chris_Hafner - I read that post, and unless I am missing something, I don't need to manually remove the config profile. I just need the JSS not to complain about it after I have it installed.

@tthurman - I am already doing this. I've downloaded the config profile from the JSS, packaged it up and have it installed to a temp directory where I then run the profiles command. That seems to work fine, but after it installs, the JSS gives me that error I displayed above.

/usr/bin/profiles -I -F /private/tmp/profile.mobileconfig

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@danshaw Fair enough. Have you contacted your TAM?

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Try scoping the profile itself to the same group of computers you are manually deploying it to, but leave it set to Self Service for install method. I think that'll keep the JSS from trying to remove it. We do this with our 802.1x Wi-Fi profile.

danshaw
Contributor II

@cbrewer That looks like it did the trick! For those that don't want it in SS, you can also set the scope, choose to install it automatically and then choose "Distribute to Newly Assigned Devices Only". So far no errors!

Also, JAMF suggested to create the config profile with another JSS, download it, and then install that one. That way your main JSS won't be looking for it.

May
Contributor III

@danshaw @cbrewer Good to know for next time, thanks!