Why does Jamf Pro report drive capacities lower than the actual size?

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I have noticed that Jamf Pro always reports the storage size much smaller than it actually is. This causes issues with my smart groups that report on managed systems that are approaching their storage limit. Why is this happening? I thought that starting 1c81be4367434218ac863278434b7211
with OS X Snow Leopard, we put the B.S. of the volume size always being several gigabytes smaller than the actual capacity behind us. Here is a screenshot of my MacBook Pro's storage. It's a 1TB SSD, and it's showing almost 70GB smaller than it actually is.

1 REPLY 1

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

@howie_isaacks Because of how drive manufacturers count bytes vs how operating systems tend to count bytes and JAMF reports how the underlying OS sees the total space (because the command line tools they are using to gather this information report it this way).

Long story short is, at one point to try to make things less confusing Apple changed how many of the applications in macOS show size of drives to match how hard drive vendors count bytes. (Hard Drive vendors treat 1KB as 1000 bytes.) But UNIX, Linux, Windows, etc, treat a KB as 1024 bytes. That is why in the Finder, it says my 500GB hard drive is pretty much 500GB:

0c7fef3c17ad4f25905995ef81c25b64

But if I look up my total space on the command line, I get a smaller result:

18dc989061d44005ac6351fa92b0865b

A longer version of this same information you can find here: [http://www.howtogeek.com/123268/windows-hard-drive-wrong-capacity/](link URL)