Stolen laptop has checked in

amfarrell
New Contributor

We recently had a small group of laptops stolen. They were student checkout laptops and had wifi disabled. As soon as the theft was discovered I tied them to DEP with a prestage enrollment. One of them re-enrolled a few days ago with the JSS management account. Is there a way I can add a secondary admin account and keep it hidden? I would like to be able to ssh into the computer.

4 REPLIES 4

tsossong
New Contributor III

But if you bound them to DEP and the device reenrolled now with DEP and PreStage enabled ...and it appears as not "unmanaged device" in Casper that means the person who took it must have login credentials to enroll the device. Within the setup assistant you get asked to enter credentials for your Casper Site.

But to answer your question. You can setup a user also within the PreStage Enrollment Profile. We do that with our HelpDesk-User. The user will be generated then during the first restart. You can mark it as hidden also. Also recommended: Skip the user creation task in the First Run Assistant. That will take the option from any person to create a admin user and delete your support admin. The setting is also in the PreStageEnrollment Settings.

See attached Screenshot of our PreStage Enrollment for Cart Devices.

For SSH available for management user and your support admin you should uncheck the corresponding setting in your management account section (QuickAdd Package)de8346267d8d4db1889978780b0b58cc. But then SSH will be available to anybody.

With the IP address and Google Maps you maybe can track down the position / area. Works fine if its connected to cable.

Jeremy0548
New Contributor

This reminds me of a post I read recently,
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/12300/nice-little-scripts-to-scope-to-stolen-computers
I really like the portion about grabbing the computers location. Hope this helps.

Jeremy

May
Contributor III

We had success retrieving a stolen MacBook using the info Prey gathered then handed it over to the police.
Create a package with your Prey key in and push it out to the Mac, i'd check with your legal dept before you install it as it can take photos of the person behind the camera.. and track the location and take screenshots,

jared_f
Valued Contributor

The scripts @Jeremy0548 posted are great for scoping to stolen computers. It reports backs ton of information.